Regrets … I’ve had a few

Today I moved from an AV system to stand alone systems; well almost.
When I renovated my cottage some 10 years ago I had grand plans: music and media servers, TVs in several rooms. Those plans were never fulfilled … hubris and reality. Today I removed the media server and switch, moved my old tv upstairs with the sat box; downstairs a new tv with direct connection to the sat is installed. All that remains of my plans is a multiroom streaming setup, and I wish I had kept my vision modest.

3 Likes

Mine are too few to mention :wink:

4 Likes

I’ve always had a separate AV system but since moving I’m just running my tv into my Atom via Kef bookshelf/sub. I’ve been reasonably happy with the sound and when we build I don’t think I’ll be adding rear speakers, life’s too short for all the complication.

3 Likes

I’ve always wanted an AV system, but when I got a large OLED TV for the office, I decided a good stereo system was more then enough for what I need. Now that I have the main system there and have added a sub the simplicity and performance is beyond what I had thought I’d ever achieve, so are more than happy with that. The imaging I get with my 2-way speakers will through a helicopter around the room and the sub will get a solid vibration going - what’s not to like.

3 Likes

That I didn’t have more flings with stunningly beautiful young women when I myself was young free and single.

10 Likes

Well, yes, there is always that……

2 Likes

That at age 15 I gave up piano playing (Grade 6) for electric guitar.

2 Likes

Not paying more attention to Linda Fitzgerald in 4 grade.

9 Likes

The mind boggles :flushed:

2 Likes

……”but then again, too many to mention.”

4 Likes

I’ve had many regrets over the years, as I have often put myself ‘out there’ and things don’t always go the way one expects. However, I don’t let those regrets bother me and I use the events as a learning tool and move on very quickly.

I thoroughly believe that most people have many regrets, but like I do, are sensible enough to put them aside and focus on what’s next and how to improve any setbacks, instead of punishing oneself over past errors.

2 Likes

The problem with regrets is that they are a permanent punishment, that will never go away. I don’t think I have any, or as @david1111 says, put them aside and focus on now and the future.

3 Likes

Yeah, for sure, one needs to get used to just putting regrets aside. You’ll most likely find that you do have regrets, y’know, events and decisions that you wish you had done differently, but you’re just one kf those that is very adept at putting them aside, you don’t even notice that you are doing it. That’s a good skill.

There was a thread a few years ago about ‘sunk costs’. I invested in an aspect of infrastructure that I rarely used. It doesn’t bother me but I wish I had learnt the lessons of a lifetime: manage realistic expectations.

2 Likes

Now look, you’ve ruined all of my efforts in applying CBT to my life!

1 Like

The idea of suppressing of “not having: regret is an interesting one. So much evidence nowadays that it catches up with you on the end.

2 Likes

Possibly better than feeling miserable most of the time. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Absolutely. I just meant that there’s a certain sort of person who is adamant that they have led or will lead a life of no regrets because “life’s too short” etc. They tend to be the sort of person who has left a lot of collateral damage through behaviours they don’t want to address. Eventually that constant suppression of the reality of who they are and what they’ve done almost always catches up with them. I’ve tended to find that life is much healthier if one steers away from that sort of person until they have as it were gotten their act together.

Conversely someone who admits their regrets but finds them recycling and magnifying is essentially ill and needs help. The healthy situation is to absolutely have regrets; own them but then specifically alter future behaviours in consequence of them. Actual learning to be better or different rather than just laughing dismissively about it.

8 Likes

To have no regrets at all is slightly narcissistic regrets come from mistakes and missed opportunities and from those comes learning.

2 Likes

There are two types of regret: for what you did or didn’t do. Each needs to be handled differently as indeed the effect it has had. Grief and negativity are very complex emotion that can take over until you address their cause.

Phil

5 Likes