Reid Miles Gallery

I hope its OK to create this thread here, I hope so.
Many members here love their jazz and,to me an often overlooked element of the Bluenote label is the wonderfully original ,yet themed, cover art.
The way Miles almost predicted the recording sessions to present the record owner with an image of what was to come, is genius.
Ofcourse the use of Francis Wolffs photos makes the designs complete.
The aim of this thread is to invite you to post your favourite Reid Miles design with a note of why.

byrdbn4124

Love the perspective and the use of lower case with very few colours.

3 Likes

This has to be one of my favourites - captures the spirit of the album well. Actually had the privilege to speak with Sam when he was in his 80s and talk briefly about his BN covers. His favourite was ‘A New Conception’, being chuffed that it had won awards for design.

1 Like

Great thread and love this subject a couple of books I have are well worth a Santa letter. :wink: :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Marsh one is on my list!

1 Like

Not forgetting - also a brilliant album.

Yup use of fonts, splashes of colour and empty space too. There was a thread a while back on iconic covers - could’ve added 50 Blue Notes at least.

1 Like

1 Like

So which is your favourite and why?

Apart from one small photo my two favourite Reid Miles covers lack any photography on the front Larry Young - Unity and Joe Henderson - in ‘n’ out are so obviously 1960’s and yet totally timeless.

Great cover designs. I understand his later efforts dispensed with photos.
I have both of those.

1 Like

I have in n out but unfortunately I just can’t get into Larry Young’s Unity so don’t have it though if I find a cheap copy I’ll definitely buy it for the cover.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.