Remembering Julian

A sad loss and taken far too soon. Simply the best Hi Fi that you can buy and I love my Naim and thank you Julian. Worth every penny. RIP Julian, they are listening to some top sounds where ever you are.

5 Likes

My word - I cannot believe that it has been 20 years. I remember coming home and reading about it on the then Naim forum, such a sad surprise.

Only met him once, but such an interesting chap. RIP Julian.

2 Likes

Almost two years ago, Julian Vereker’s last creation came into my life (Nait 5). Now I live, almost, with his first favorite kit (32.5/160BD/IBL). I listen every day and thank God for allowing me to get acquainted with the Great Works of the Great Master. Sleep peacefully Julian, the memory of you always lives in our hearts!

3 Likes

My expenses account & I got the drinks in at a bar one time, introduced myself - he said he’d assumed I was bar staff!

An inspiration and outstanding gentleman.

3 Likes

I was very fortunate to meet Julian on several occasions the first being the launch of the Naim tuner at a venue in London.

What struck me was his sheer enthusiasm it just filled the room as did the sound from the new tuner and Naim system.

It is pleasing that this has carried on in the Naim band.

4 Likes

I first met Julian in 1991/2 when through a graphic designer ( GeoffC ) I was invited in to the office in Salisbury to discuss production issues they were having with their new Naim Corporate brochure. Julian came walking into the meeting in shorts with if I recall correctly a cigar in his hand, we were introduced and talked briefly and we met a few times after that to review production proofs and finished brochures when delivered. I worked at the time for a man very similar to Julian ( Nadim Dayeh - Dayfold ) who sadly passed away soon after I met Julian. Both men were visionaries and had created amazing businesses with lots of similarities. I have never forgotten Julian and like Nadim both Naim Audio and Dayfold thrive until this day which I am sure they would both be very proud of.

4 Likes

Hi @MarcusDoo, nice to hear your memories, and as I recall Julian also had a lot of respect for you too.

Certainly, I know you helped resolve the issues we had at the time. I remember Julian driving me down to your print office / factory and over taking 3 cars at once on a two-way road (in his Jaguar) and the way he did it there was no risk at all, just all the confidence in the world!

Julian was the most remarkable man I have ever met, and it was always great to see him smile, make a witty comment or dive into that knowledge of so many things and experiences. He still inspires me today.

Gosh Geoff - how nice to hear from you - lets connect on LinkedIn or Facebook or Twitter - moodgroup.

Marcus, I am not on Facebook or Twitter etc, but if you ask @Richard.Dane I am happy for him let you have my email address. Regards, Geoff

sadly missed . was taken too early , 54 is no age

@Richard.Dane please email me Geoff’s contact email address as per message exchange between us.

Sorry I am late to this, but having been on the original first forum, I will never forget Julian popping in every now and then to give guidance, or explain how something really worked. One could sense his passion just through his words.

I remember being home listening to my Naim system the day he passed. I read the news and even never having had the opportunity of meeting the man face to face, I cried. It certainly was a sad day to know he was gone. Yet it is wonderful that he still lives on through the company that he created, and through the products that continue to be designed and built by some truly incredible people to this day.

May Naim continue to flourish, and keep his legacy alive and well. Rave on!

3 Likes

I met Julian on several occasions, first at Salt Lane and then at the factory. I do remember a great trip round the factory organised by my then dealer RPM in Battersea. Julian made us all welcome after our long trip down on a double decker bus! We were sworn to secrecy as he showed us the drive units for what became the DBL loudspeaker. On another occasion Julian asked me if I knew about switched mode power supplies, sadly I didn’t, otherwise I might have ended working for Naim, I would have loved that!
To sum up, Julian was one of life’s gentlemen and is sadly missed!

4 Likes

@vinylzealot I was on a factory trip on the old red double decker with RPM! We got to hear the NAC52. I wonder if it was the same day? My pal Steve Morris (RIP) worked for RPM at the time.

1 Like

Is there video material around of him? I have seen many photos but it would be nice to see him in motion.

He makes a couple of brief appearances in this video:

5 Likes

I remember that the bus had a speed limiter so the driver took it out of gear going downhill to go faster, a very hairy trip! Can’t remember the year though!

Ha ha, yes that’s right. I’d forgotten that. I think it was around 1990. Which would make sense because the 52 came out that year and the DBL in 1991.

Sorry to hear about Steve, I remember him well. RPM was my dealer for a while, arising from my having won a prize in a magazine competition that they funded. Then they folded abruptly, and I never heard what became of Steve (or Jay or Karen). If memory serves, Steve not only lived on a boat, but had an LP12-based system as well - quite a feat!

2 Likes

Great little film in a ‘public broadcast’ tone!

G