Repairing a Toslink Port on a MuSo

Hi, I’ve got a MuSo that I’ve had for just over 2 years. I never used the Toslink cable until a few months back when the 3.5mm jack input developed a fault which produced a crackling sound at high volumes.

I sent the system away and because the unit was a month out of warranty, I was asked to pay the flat fee for repair. I wasn’t overly impressed, but got the repair done.

I thought I might as well upgrade my inputs, so have been using the Toslink input for a clearer, punchier sound.

All has been great, until today. Suddenly the Toslink input started crackling. I was really surprised by this. The cable isn’t exactly easy to get at, but I found that touching it produced more crackling. I seemed to be moving in the port of some reason.

So, I took it out to inspect, then put it back in. Guess what, now no sound. I shut it down and rebooted the system, and put the cable back in. It now drops out, literally physically drops out of the port. It appears the hinged shield on the toslink port just isn’t gripping the jack plug properly. It’s a pretty cheap nasty connector on the Muso, weak and low quality. I have no idea why it suddenly failed.

I’ve now had to tape the cable into place just to hold it in. It still crackles a little.

Frankly, it’s really disappointing that once again I will need to pay for an expensive repair on what is clearly a cheap bit of kit in the first place. I think my real complaint is that I have no idea how often this might fail, since it’s a pretty flimsy design.

So, right now, I’m not impressed. I bought the Muso because Naim has an excellent reputation. But this is far below excellent.

My question is: is there a repair that can be done without returning this to the workshop? Anyone have any experience of this?

Toslink ports are pretty nasty really, and getting plugs and sockets to fit properly can be a bit hit and miss I find, but they’ve become a consumer electronics industry standard, so…

If I were you I would try a different cable and connector and don’t use anything that’s stiff as it applies too much force on what is basically a not-too-strong connector - the more pliable and flexible the cable, the better really.

1 Like

My first suggestion would be to try a different cable. There’s no guarantee this will help, but the plugs are notorious for being variable in their fit, and they are often a poor match for the socket.
If you buy one online you should be able to try it, and return it if it doesn’t help.

1 Like

I had the opposite problem. The plug was a really tight fit. A few months ago I needed to move the MuSo so tried to ease the plug out wherupon it came but taking the flap with it.

Not worth the hassle to get it fixed.

If equipment from reputable manufacturers are connected with a metal plugged Toslink cable from a reputable manufacturer, there shouldn’t be any problems.

This very well made and nice sounding VDH cable cost a modest £75.

1 Like

If the socket was repaired only three months ago, presumably by Naim, the repair should hopefully be covered by a warranty. It’s worth checking.

1 Like

I found a bit of Blu-Tack around plug works well for me.

1 Like

Just done this, and it worked perfectly. Thanks. Problem solved! :grinning:

3 Likes

The 3.5mm jack socket was causing a problem, not the TOSLink. However, I’ve now solved the problem. The answer is to stabilise the connection with blutack, as someone else on here kindly suggested. Totally worked. :grinning:

2 Likes