Repairing LP covers

One of the perils of charity shop purchases seems to be the failure of glued joins on the cover.
I always found it fiddly trying to reglue, mainly because it was just about impossible to remove the old glue. Using liquid glues involved sliding silicone paper inside to avoid sticking too much together.
My daughter is a librarian and spoke to an archivist. They recommended a low temperature hot melt glue and sent a sample which has now run out. Trying to track down anything similar gave industrial quantities and stupid carriage costs.
My photographer brother was recently trying to find acid free double sided adhesive tape, which led me to Stix2 Anything. Trying to find a retailer didn’t come up with anything, so I phoned the enquiry line who sent me the parent company UK Industrial Tapes Ltd picture framing catalogue. Quite a selection of double sided tape, also a roller ball glue pen.
Has anyone tried this or similar?

1 Like

Hi CW - easiest is double sided tape from Sellotape (yellow outer) just slice to size, attach, strip off the outer layer and press together. A sharp modelling blade is ideal.

1 Like

Nope. Normal PVA glue has always worked well enough for me.

Agree, this is all you’ll ever need.

4 Likes

Yup, just PVA or basic wood glue should do the trick just fine. Apply with one of those plastic glue spatulas that always take me straight back to early school days.

2 Likes

Cheap as chips on the bay. :flushed:memories. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I just use a Pritt stick. Seems to hold just fine and simple to remove if it gets places it’s not wanted with no marks.

4 Likes

I use a thin double sided tape. Have done for years without incident.

1 Like

This works perfectly for me. Usually no need to remove the original hardened glue unless it really stands proud of the surface. No spatulas used here either, just a thinnish trail of glue in the middle of the cardboard tab. I haven’t had any seams reopen yet after this.

2 Likes

Sorry for slight thread drift but does anyone have a method for removing sticky price labels? I have several otherwise excellent covers spoilt by labels and that horrible underside that gets left behind if you try to peel them off.

Denatured alcohol from your chemist, or a bottle of vodka, at a pinch.

1 Like

Nail varnish remover,(Acetone)

The other old glue from school days was Copydex.

DG…

1 Like

Thanks people for the replies. Arthritic fingers tend to make tube glues a bit unpredictable which is why the hotmelt glue was a bit easier to use.
As the brother wanted an order I bought some double sided tape to try, if it doesn’t work it will get passed on to a crafting friend.
@DiggyGun yes, Copydex, it made great artificial bogies! The glue of choice when I was young was Croid, incredibly sticky.

Low odour white spirit
Lakeland Sticky Stuff Remover - money back guarantee
Then the company I mentioned, Stix2 Anything - Adhesive Remover