Replace 272 with Uniti Atom HE?

I gave up waiting for a replacement and got a Primare NP5 to plug into the 272. I’m very happy with the improvement in sound and functionality and all desire for the 272 replacement has gone.

3 Likes

Yes, it can be a way to go, of course. And you experience a clear improvement in SQ? What made you choose Primare?

It is all smoke and mirrors.
My lucky number is 2 ! :blush:

If you want to stream lossless radio stations integrated in iRadio then you could implement Kurt’s cloud solution. You have to manually add the radio stations in vTuner but once they’re in there you’re done.

Another lossless internet radio streaming solution is to install Minimserver app on your network (NAS, RPI, etc) and create a m3u file with station urls and save it to your media folder on the device you’re running the minimserver app.

To stream Qobuz/Tidal lossless you would install the Bubble Soft app in a similar manner (NAS, RPI, etc) and use the Linn App (Kazoo) to control/playback. Not ideal but I run all of these solutions and they work without a hitch for the most part. And the SQ is sublime. If you’re interested in Minimserver and Bubble Soft I can try and hunt down links to relevant threads. There are many here.

1 Like

I got mine second hand on eBay so it wasn’t much of a gamble. I got it mainly for the increased functionality with Qobuz and Roon, but I was pleasantly surprised at the nice improvement in sound - not “night and day” (whatever that means), but noticeable.

I wanted something that would involve minimal redundancy and I’m very satisfied with the result. I’ll probably have a listen to any new 272, but it’s not the foregone conclusion it might have been previously.

The episode has also opened my eyes to another manufacturer for consideration with any future upgrades.

2 Likes

[272 vs ATOM HE] (NEW! Uniti Atom Headphone Edition – and streaming pre-amp! - #1108 by registlse)

2 Likes

If the current 272 does everything you want, I’d not let the lack of a successor bother you. The 272 sounds at least as good as it did when released a few years back. In hifi, 6 years is practically brand new.

If you feel ready for an upgrade now though, well it’s up to Naim to fill the void with the right product at the right time. As they didn’t, there are numerouse non Naim alternatives. I’d not ponder whether an Atom HE is a replacement purely for the sake of the Naim logo. I’d just look elsewhere. After all, they let the 272 die without having a replacement to launch at the same time. That’s really missing the boat marketing-wise.

5 Likes

That’s only partially true; Naim provided several hints that a successor will be released. Things like covid, component shortages, etc. destroyed the plan … I’m confident that we’ll see something, probably next month during Munich High End show …

1 Like

Fingers crossed. Several dealers I spoke to about non Naim products shared that brands like Luxman had a streamer ready to go into production when the world fell apart. 18 months later, tech moved on a bit but production never happened. And supply issues made it hard to even get trial components for R&D on the next model so they just axed the whole product. For Luxman the stars weren’t aligned so it was just axed entirely. They’ll start R&D again from scratch when things are more favourable.

Thanks!

Yes, that was a big mistake by Naim IMO.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s a ‘big mistake’ or just simply ‘force majeure’ …

1 Like

The real question Klout, is: Was there a successor developed when 272 was discontinued? The answer is: No.
So what is it if not a failure from a marketing standpoint?

1 Like

I haven’t seen where we know a successor wasn’t developed.

Bjorn is quite correct here. A number of forum members visited Naim at the time the ND555, NDX2 and ND5XS2 were about to launch. I was a 272 owner at the time and was very keen to have a ‘new platform 272’. I asked when it was coming and was told that the separate streamers were done first. I suppose the 272 had only been on the market a few years, but in my view it would have been sensible to do a new 272 at the same time. It’s not really for us to question why but for whatever reason it wasn’t done. As far as I understand things a 272 replacement has now been developed but has been delayed by all the global shenanigans over supply. There is no point introducing a new product that will inevitably be a good seller if you cannot meet demand.

When the 272 was current there was always the question mark over its place in the heirarchy, but if we assume that the 202 is gone for good, things may now be clearer.

2 Likes

I’m not waiting a replacement, too much money for my…
I added a Zen Mini and I have everything, a server to exploit the best part of the 272, ripping and an updated steamer,
used with SPIDF output in 272.
next expense … maybe an XPS.

2 Likes

Naim’s ways are mysterious, isn’t it?

1 Like

I am hoping now that shows are starting again, products will be announced if not released immediately. I for one would put in an order immediately for the 272 replacement.
In my other expensive hobby, the announcement of new bodies or lenses is often accompanied with a delivery date of the first product a few months later. Whilst I would like to have it yesterday, knowing it was on the way would help me wait for a few more months.

Rememeber the 272 has been selling XPSDR, 250DR, 555DR and 300DR boxes for Naim. So building a replacement that doesnt visually fit such a system would be a strange choice.

I’d guess the presence of the Nova (and inflation) means they will push a “372” upwards in audio quality. and price, perhaps around EUR 8000-9000.

2 Likes

You could be right, I would still buy at that price.