Replace 272 with Uniti Atom HE?

Wondering if anyone here has replaced their 272 with the Uniti Atom HE? If so, what made you make the decision and are you happy with the result?

I would imagine the best comparison would be the 272 without an extra power supply, as this which transforms its performance.

2 Likes

Yes, I know, I’m using an XPS DR in my current system and see that you’ve taken it one step further. The successor to the 272 has not yet been shown and the new HE version of the Atom has been raised to the skies by many, even connoisseurs, so I wonder if anyone has taken the step and replaced their 272 with the Atom HE even though it can not be powered by an external PSU.

1 Like

I raised this idea with my dealer at the time, in his opinion this would be a step back … I’ve not compared these 2 by the way …

1 Like

Would be very interested as well with your question, as I am getting frustrated with my 272 software when used with tidal. The app freezes and the 272 constantly needs rebooting. So I seriously considering a more current streaming preamp.

2 Likes

If the app is freezing as well as issue with the 272, it will be your network and not the 272. It’s easy to point the blame in the wrong place.

3 Likes

Madame Clare did say a while back that the Atom HE was not intended as a replacement to the 272. I’d wait for the Nova HE aka the new 272, the NovaNac.

2 Likes

I have had a 272: with 555PS DR. Currently running Atom HE with ATC SCM40A (Active) loudspeakers.

2 Likes

And how does it compare?

Good point. The 272 is connected via Ethernet. The wifi signal in the house fluctuates a lot room to room and is often weak in the stereo room. I started typing this under wifi connection with my iPhone and half way through the iPhone is now on 4G.

Very hard to compare, as speakers and amplifier (300DR) changed too. Now this is purely subjective, but to my ears, not a million miles apart. In fact, if there was no other product out there, then I could quite happily live with the HE.:blush:

3 Likes

You are saying that 272/555 dr is at a relatively similar level of sound with the Atom HE?
Someone compared both one year ago and found the bare 272 a bit better.( it was a preamp only comparing). So I am surprised by your findings.

But the Nova still can’t use an external power supply - the only upgrade in that department is to replace the mains cable with a Powerline. Perhaps the next-gen Nova will have the capability to use an external power supply? That would be a really strong product, in my humble opinion. I love it as-is, but if you could basically make it a SN3 with a built-in streamer that you can upgrade with an external power supply, that would be a great product!

1 Like

What I was attempting to describe, is that when you listen to the Atom HE without a direct comparison with the 272/555, it does not to a disservice to itself. I would expect in a direct comparison the 272/555 to provide a superior sound quality. However, lets look at why the HE might have closed the gap. Firstly I’m using the HE with ATC SCM40A (Active) loudspeakers. So, utilising the balanced XLR output of the HE, gives the best connection to the loudspeakers. Secondly, sorry do not have the technical detail available, but the HE reportedly has a superior streaming board to the 272 and other Uniti unit’s.
If the above is all true, would this not be a balance to the superior sound of the 272 (with or without 555), when used with ATC active speakers ??? :smiley:

2 Likes

Maybe NoNaim, but I doubt a bit. Specially with a 555 dr on the 272.
However I was reporting only the comparison between both pre.

Yes, you can probably be right Klout, but I have received the opposite message and that the new streaming platform outshines the old platform, to the extent that Atom HE would sound better than a bare 272, and maybe even better even if an XPS is connected. True or not :man_shrugging: hence my question.

Assuming all this is true, it would imply the ‘new 272’ could actually be a Nova HE type thing, possibly with the ability to be used naked or with an external power supply. It would have a pre out to be used with an external power amp. Now that would be a very flexible unit.

OR…I am talking complete bo11ocks!

Dives for cover…

1 Like

Close, but no cigar ! :blush:

Do you know something NoNaim?

How can I answer that……only with silence, sorry.