Replacing deceased Royd Doublets

My system is a CD3, 92/90 and flatcap and the now deceased Royd Doublets.

I’m looking to replace the Royd’s with something with a similar sound. When I first bought the system I found them to be much less “aggressive” than something like the naim intro’s, but still retained a lot of the musicality, detail and presentation.

I’ve done a bit of searching to find recommendations for replacing Doublets in a Naim setup. But unfortunately many of the brands (such as Neat’s) don’t appear to be available in New Zealand.

Looking around the local HiFi stores I may be restricted to the following brands:
Totem
Rega
Fyne
Monitor Audio
Sonus
ELAC
Yamaha

I’d love to hear any suggestions or brands/models I should go and demo. Budget would be around $1200 USD / £900.

Would you consider the second-hand market?

1 Like

I had Doublets. I now have Kudos X3’s.

Now out of production, mine were bought pre-loved from a Well Known Leicestershire dealer.

Am sure Rega or Fyne could work well, too.

1 Like

Would you consider the second-hand market?

I certainly would, but the second hand market but unfortunately its a pretty limited from what i’ve seen here in New Zealand. So pickings would be slim

Am sure Rega or Fyne could work well, too.

Thanks, I will give those a look next week

1 Like

Fyne F501’s were mentioned to me, before I bought my pre-loved Kudos X3’s.

Kudos also made an X2 - bit less money, but similar size & look, I think.

Speaker Trivia. Kudos X3’s are a similar size (bit bigger) to Royd Doublets, which are a similar size to Linn Kan’s on Kan II stands… All of which… I have owned.

I’ve previously used Totem Arro’s. I thought they sounded great, maybe a bit bright and bass shy but they can be filled with lead shot.

@Mike_S in NZ uses Forests or Hawks

What’s wrong with the Doublets?

1 Like

What’s wrong with the Doublets?

There is distortion on one as soon as the volume gets above very low levels, due to one of the speaker cones becoming detached/damaged - attempted to get them repaired, but to no avail.

I would like to remind members here to please respect and abide by forum rules. I have edited… Thanks.

1 Like

Oh shame, Doublets are fantastic. Is the surround damaged or the cone itself?