Replacing deceased Royd Doublets

My system is a CD3, 92/90 and flatcap and the now deceased Royd Doublets.

I’m looking to replace the Royd’s with something with a similar sound. When I first bought the system I found them to be much less “aggressive” than something like the naim intro’s, but still retained a lot of the musicality, detail and presentation.

I’ve done a bit of searching to find recommendations for replacing Doublets in a Naim setup. But unfortunately many of the brands (such as Neat’s) don’t appear to be available in New Zealand.

Looking around the local HiFi stores I may be restricted to the following brands:
Totem
Rega
Fyne
Monitor Audio
Sonus
ELAC
Yamaha

I’d love to hear any suggestions or brands/models I should go and demo. Budget would be around $1200 USD / £900.

Would you consider the second-hand market?

1 Like

I had Doublets. I now have Kudos X3’s.

Now out of production, mine were bought pre-loved from a Well Known Leicestershire dealer.

Am sure Rega or Fyne could work well, too.

1 Like

Would you consider the second-hand market?

I certainly would, but the second hand market but unfortunately its a pretty limited from what i’ve seen here in New Zealand. So pickings would be slim

Am sure Rega or Fyne could work well, too.

Thanks, I will give those a look next week

1 Like

Fyne F501’s were mentioned to me, before I bought my pre-loved Kudos X3’s.

Kudos also made an X2 - bit less money, but similar size & look, I think.

Speaker Trivia. Kudos X3’s are a similar size (bit bigger) to Royd Doublets, which are a similar size to Linn Kan’s on Kan II stands… All of which… I have owned.

I’ve previously used Totem Arro’s. I thought they sounded great, maybe a bit bright and bass shy but they can be filled with lead shot.

@Mike_S in NZ uses Forests or Hawks

What’s wrong with the Doublets?

1 Like

What’s wrong with the Doublets?

There is distortion on one as soon as the volume gets above very low levels, due to one of the speaker cones becoming detached/damaged - attempted to get them repaired, but to no avail.

I would like to remind members here to please respect and abide by forum rules. I have edited… Thanks.

1 Like

Oh shame, Doublets are fantastic. Is the surround damaged or the cone itself?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.