Reripping Cds

I recently purchased an used Naim Unitiserve and am in the process of ripping CDs. I have a question about ripping. If I rip a CD and later re-rip the same CD, does this overwrite the previous rip or default to the original? From the best I can tell it re-rips since it appears on the app as recent rip. Does anyone know for sure?

It re-rips it and saves it using the original name so the first rip is overwritten.

Best

David

Thanks

You can avoid this - if you wish - by renaming the first rip before re-ripping.

Many regards,
Michel

You can’t do this actually because you are not allowed to rename Naim rips as this will almost certainly break the indexing. And changing the metadata naming with n-serve has no effect on what happens if you re-rip the CD.

Best

David

Hi David, I do not want to argue with you, but are you really sure? It’s quite some years back when I used to own an HDX which is similar to the UnitiServe … IIRC, you needed to use the DTC in order to make changes to album names, etc

I am afraid David is wrong - I think. You can edit the title using nserve and rerip. Or at least I have managed to do this.

You can edit the title, as you say. But the album identity remains the same - the number the US or HDX reads off the CD. That’s why a re-rip overwrites the first rip.

The reason I know this incidentally is from trying to rename a two CD set because for some reason both ripped as the same CD. But whatever you did with metadata made no difference. In the end I had to rip the second CD on a PC and add it as a download. That sorted it.

Best

David

Can’t you edit the first rip then copy it to a usb stick then rip the second cd then put the rip that’s on the usb into the down load file ?
A lot of steps but should work if really needed

Yes of course you can. That’s similar to what I said above really.

Best
David

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.