Restricting Naim App system access

Is there any way of stopping anyone with the Naim App on their phone/tablet from accessing my Unitiqute 2 and MuSo when logged into my Wi Fi network? The reason I ask is that one of my so called mates loves to wreak havoc with my system when he’s had a few beers! Such jolly japes as renaming the devices, changing all the radio presets or streaming Agadoo at full volume!

I’ve had a look at the settings but can’t see any password or PIN options?

2 Likes

Once they are on your wifi network they have full access to use the Naim app to control your devices. You can change your wifi password to keep them out, or set up a guest network and have the opportunity to blob them off if they continue to behave like a child.

get a new mate? :wink:

1 Like

yes two WiFi networks is best.

You could possibly block his device on your network via a Router setting

1 Like

Well of course I enjoy returning the favour on his Sonos system when I’m at his house :joy:

1 Like

Ah yes, I hadn’t thought of the guest wi fi option . Mind you as my Unitiqute is connected via Ethernet wouldn’t guests still be able to access it?

Not if you restrict the guest WiFi to internet only.

OK, thanks.

I’ve always thought it’s a slight oversight to not have some kind of optional access restriction on the Naim App…especially so for the device settings etc – nothing stopping anyone on the network going into each device and having a right screw around!

I run VLANs at home so it’s not so much an issue, but plenty of users will have flat and relatively simply networks…and it’s not just ‘guests’ etc, but even other household members – like kids!

Then you have devices like the Core that freely advertise themselves on the LAN – I get that the thinking will be for reasons of ease of use for the end user, but those content folders really should be password protected!
Not just Naim though, I believe Innuos is the same (unless it’s changed since) – I installed a Zen some years ago at a Spa Retreat where I look after the network, to then find all the staff members could simply access the Rip/Content folders with one click from their PCs…Not ideal! I think, from hazy memory, the settings are at least password protected on the Innuos.

SC

Don’t let anyone on your network,
If they can’t afford there own data,
You got the wrong mates
All my m8’s know better then to touch my kit,

1 Like

Easiest method is to change your WiFi password then keep your devices close by if he persists show him the door

Having a 2 gig connection on fibre compared to foreign roaming … sometimes we have to be nice and allow them to use our physical network :slight_smile:

I’m obviously missing something as it’s easy to keep your mate out or anyone else that matter. All you have to do is change your network password. It can be a bit annoying as it’ll mean you’ll have sign everything back in. Unless they’re reasonably decent hackers they won’t get back in.

Also you might want to reconsider your choice of mates. :rofl::rofl:

Good question… in short no. The only way is as suggested is rather primitive and old stool network access controls, such as denying wifi access or a particular SSID access but that could cause issues if the wifi is used for many other things that you wish your friends and visitors to use.

Therefore there is no access control for the Naim product… Naim could implement via the Naim app, however it would be hard to implement for things like Roon and UPnP push, which don’t have that capability. Interestingly Apple AirPlay does support a basic authentication using a device code.

But your ask is fair, and increasingly having device or ‘service’ access control is common sense housekeeping which domestic consumer services are typically woefully behind on… if you like that is where IT security tends to focus these days, ie service access control, not basic network boundary access control method, which are weak and inadequate… not least for the real world scenario you describe…
Security isn’t all about people wearing dark glasses hacking from a villains lair or a bedsit somewhere, it’s about common sense controlling access to services and applications, whether they be in the home or cloud.

1 Like

True…But they could easily implement a password section for sensitive areas of the App such as Settings….

But yeah, for basic playback control, if someone has the App and is on your network, then they have free rein….Basic preventive options range from changing your WiFi pass, separate Guest SSID or best of all, running separate VLANs and keeping any protected devices in their own subnet, be that your personal computers, phones/tablets, HiFi, whatever…

SC

Indeed. like an Admin password…

Yep.
As I’ve already said, the Core desperately needs one for its content folders…Seems crazy to me those folders just sit freely accessible on the LAN – fine if you have a pretty locked down network infrastructure…But, most don’t……

I’m obviously missing something as it’s easy to keep your mate out or anyone else that matter. All you have to do is change your network password. It can be a bit annoying as it’ll mean you’ll have sign everything back in. Unless they’re reasonably decent hackers they won’t get back in.

That would be using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut as it would be bad manners to have guests to stay and then deny them internet access via my wi fi network simply to isolate the Naim system. I do have a guest wi fi network in half the house which can limit network access but the wireless access point in the room with the Hi Fi doesn’t have that option.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.