Ringing Casework

Hi all,
Surprised I’ve not really noticed before. Whilst having a bit of wiring housekeeping on the system, during conversation I noticed quite a loud ringing in my ears. Puzzled I started going round the room clapping my hands, Mrs Dread looking at me like I’d finally gone round the pipe!
The casework on my old Ixo 2 x Nap 90 combo is ringing like a bell. On occasion listening to music I thought I could hear something and thought it might be a pipe or something under the floor.
I’m sure it must be affecting performance, it’s quite a loud ring which I’m sure will effect the electronics through microphony, even if not I can at higher volumes now hear it when music is playing
I’ve placed a few old music magazines on top of each unit to see if I can dampen the ring, this has helped to some degree and sounds better.
Has anyone any suggestions please?
I cant move the system or anything like that, I need to treat the ringing.

Cheers
:heart:

1 Like

The casework is supposed to ring, damping them with books will compromise the performance.

1 Like

For a while Naim did put a plastic strip that fit between the sled and sleeve to reduce ringing. There’s one on my Supercap and Darran put it back after it was serviced.

1 Like

If I’m hearing the ringing over the music I need to treat it, in this case the magazines have helped

1 Like

I ran that same system for eighteen years through a pair of Credos in all sorts of environments, never had a that problem with ringing feeding back into my system. I’d kindly suggest to move the system away from in-between the speakers and to house it on a really good rack, rather than putting books on it. The resonance from the transformers are soaked up through the sleeves.

Ive had this system way back since it was first introduced, I cant move the system, it’s on a really good rack - Quadraspire Reference, and the system is not between the speakers. The ringing is not feeding back into the system I can hear the sound of the ringing casework over the music.
Thanks for taking the time Steve, but I’m going to need a solution to dampen the ringing. Any compromise this might introduce to the actual amplifiers (although I hear an improvement trying the magazine’s) will be outweighed by losing the ringing.
Cheers

3 Likes

I know you can’t move them but where is the rack in relationship to the speakers?

The system set up is fine guys,
I guess now I’ve discovered the audible ringing I’ve got sensitive to it.

Respectfully, I just want some suggestions to dampen the ringing, my ears can decide if it compromises the sound.
Cheers

1 Like

Sorbothane sheet is probably the ‘obvious’ answer, although lots of other damping materials might also work.

A cheap trial might be Moongel pads - they work well on drums (and cymbals apparently) but no idea if they would kill panel ring. I’d love to know!

Edit - alternatively, I have a lot of Mojo back copies if you need them…

2 Likes

Thanks Andy

Yeah, that’s what I’m using! I’ve experimented and found that an odd number, 3, 5, or 7 on each component works best, an even number compromises musicality
(Edit in case your not familiar, not trying to take the p#ss, it’s a joke harking back to the days of Peter Belt)

1 Like

It may be worth asking if Naim still have the damping strips available.
Richard may have some pics - I can’t find any on the net at the moment.
@Richard.Dane

1 Like

No problem, I did have a reason for asking but no matter

along a side wall away from the speakers

If you try sorbothane, don’t leave it in place for too long, it can leave marks.
I had a rattling panel on an amp, a Lidl doorstop was ugly but effective. In the end I made a gasket from very thin cork sheet.

2 Likes

I didnt realise there has been a previous thread “Black Boxes Are Ringing”
I find myself in agreement with a member on there. I struggle to accept that introducing audible ringing in to a music listening environment is intended by design. I have 9 Naim boxes, if there all ringing audibly that’s adding a considerable amount of colouration to the sound.
Anyway, sorry if this discussion is old hat, but I would still like sensible and effective suggestions, it wasnt really covered well on the other thread.
Cheers

1 Like

Could you try a bit of folded paper or card between the top of the case and the back panel? It would be invisible and wouldn’t create potential overheating issues, which could happen with magazines - the case is the heatsink.

1 Like

Hi Catswhiskers, where did you fit/place the gasket?
I was thinking of maybe some sort of simple solution that I might be able to place on top of the casework.

Cheers H, might try that
I cant see overheating being a big issue (I wonder if they might sound better than mojo) there only Nap 90’s and dont run hot. If there was something that I could lay on top of the casework, not fixed, I could easily keep an eye on temp and remove if need be

HRS damping pads. Not cheap, but very effective and being black would not look to out of place.

3 Likes