Ringing Casework

I didnt realise there has been a previous thread “Black Boxes Are Ringing”
I find myself in agreement with a member on there. I struggle to accept that introducing audible ringing in to a music listening environment is intended by design. I have 9 Naim boxes, if there all ringing audibly that’s adding a considerable amount of colouration to the sound.
Anyway, sorry if this discussion is old hat, but I would still like sensible and effective suggestions, it wasnt really covered well on the other thread.
Cheers
:heart:

1 Like

Could you try a bit of folded paper or card between the top of the case and the back panel? It would be invisible and wouldn’t create potential overheating issues, which could happen with magazines - the case is the heatsink.

1 Like

Hi Catswhiskers, where did you fit/place the gasket?
I was thinking of maybe some sort of simple solution that I might be able to place on top of the casework.

Cheers H, might try that
I cant see overheating being a big issue (I wonder if they might sound better than mojo) there only Nap 90’s and dont run hot. If there was something that I could lay on top of the casework, not fixed, I could easily keep an eye on temp and remove if need be

HRS damping pads. Not cheap, but very effective and being black would not look to out of place.

3 Likes

IIRC, the damping pieces were only for the bigger extruded sleeve kit. However, most found they sounded better without damping.

2 Likes

They don’t run hot because there is nothing on top… I’d try the paper. It would look a lot better too. Some people use ice hockey pucks for this issue, though whether they are readily available in Brighton…

1 Like

Not a Naim amp, the top plate was held in place by bolts on three sides, the holes were Blind so the bolts didn’t fully tighten the plate. The the front of the panel slipped into a slot in the fascia. I cannot remember whether it was Rotel or Marantz, it went some time ago. In Dad’s useful box was some bookbinders cork sheet, very fine grain and about 1mm thick. I used clear Bostick to glue strips about 1cm wide around the edges.

1 Like

So the ringing is louder than the music? …and it’s not feeding back through the system? I find this most odd, i have to say. I hope you find a solution.

Note: the ‘ring’ from Fraim glass is preferred to face upwards in where it mates with the kit.

Point taken, I could try something and keep an eye on temp and remove if it starts getting hot, they usually are luke warm at most where the transformer is. Perhaps something that doesnt totally cover the top plate, something like your puck idea sounds good.
Being Brighton maybe a half full can of lager and a beer mat might work…come to think of it…

Do you have a tt record Puck or Weight try that

1 Like

Is it possible your wiring housekeeping disrupted the order you had previously?

No

It’s not going off like Big Ben, but yes definitely audible.
For some time I thought I was hearing a nasty room reflection colouring the sound particularly at higher volumes. I messed around with the room furnishings, speaker positioning etc on and off for years. It’s a 200 year old quirky cottage and for a while I have thought there was a pipe under the floor ringing when playing loud. Lifes too short and with only 24hrs in a day I’ve, until this discovery, been pragmatic and lived with it.
As I said at the OP, I cant believe I’ve not noticed the ringing casework before, yes I’ve been aware of ringing of the casework if physically tapped but not ringing in sympathy with the music generated energy in the room.

BUT. I say, not noticed before, but been thinking and I recall a similar situation at my old home. As I started to upgrade my old system into a Naim based one I began to notice a sort of edginess/colouration on some transients like heavily struck piano chords. Again I thought all kinds of things were causing it and chased myself around in circles, eventually I thought it was the casing of the TV resonating and tried damping it and sealing the joint around the casing with silicone sealant.
Then I got a Quadraspire Reference rack to replace my steel Sound Organisation rack which I convinced myself was ringing. The Quad sounded amazing in comparison and I stopped noticing the colouration.

Now 12 years ago I moved to my current quirky Cottage, much better acoustics, more open detailed and transparent sound, but I’ve increasingly become aware again of that ringing colouration which has slightly niggled.
So after all these years, I’ve finally found the culprit, ringing casework! and as I have 9 Naim boxes in my system that’s a fair bit of unwanted added noise into the listening environment.
Would you Adam n Eve it! :joy:

2 Likes

How about a couple of sandbags?

Not the ones you use for flood defences - try a couple of freezer bags with sand or maybe caster sugar… if it works, find something that looks better!

Works for my speaker stands. Never bothered for the SO table though!

2 Likes

How close are you sitting to the rack? Is it possible to move the rack further away from your listening position? I think the ringing is there for all of us, but could it be that your proximity is the issue?

As I said moving the system not an option.
Cheers

If so, I find it quite ridiculous, audio equipment designed to give the best possible musical performance that audibly rings when listening to music. :thinking:

Not really, it’s not as though I’ve got my ears resting on the casework.

The caster sugar would certainly sweeten the sound :+1: