RIP David Sanborn

One of the best and highly regarded session player …

He’ll be missed

8 Likes

His finest moment - Young Americans album - Bowie replaced his lead guitar with David Sanborn on sax.

Some gorgeous sax playing on this album.

Ian Hunter used him to great effect on his album ‘ All American Alien Boy’

IMG_9027

Then we have his best solo album ‘Another Hand’

6 Likes

How very sad. His solo albums are rather goid too:

Top: Taking Off (1975) - great jazz-funk
Bottom: As We Speak (1982) - great collaboration with Marcus Miller and Omar Hakim for a top-flight rhythm section

4 Likes

Real shocker genius Sax player David Sanborn has passed away aged 78.
Seems he had prostate cancer.
Very sad indeed I seen him live a number of years ago and have a huge discography of his solo and guest albums.
RIP David.

1 Like

RIP David Sanborn, thank you for your music.

5 Likes

Real bummer! I always loved his album with Bob James, Double Vision, along with his own solo albums. RIP, and thanks for the music!

1 Like

A great musician, will be sadly missed.

2 Likes

David had such an unusual sound, a diamond cutter tone. No wonder he was used by so many top artists. My favourite Sanborn album is Voyeur.
Another great loss, but thankfully music lives on.

2 Likes

Very unique sound. He played on Stevie Wonders Talking book album as well. “Tuesday Heartbreak”

1 Like

Wow that’s a shocker! Love his music, first time I heard him was on an album with Bob James, Double Vision and love the Water is Wide with Linda Ronstadt on the vocals.

RIP.

Tim

2 Likes

Very sad, joins Michael Brecker up there.
I listened to Taking Off when I heard the news, still sounds fantastic even today and his playing was extraordinary. Hugely influential musician.

3 Likes

I think ‘Double Vision’ is a great albums and remember the days when it was playing in just about any demonstration room that you entered.

4 Likes

Reflecting again on the very sad passing of David Sanborn earlier this week. I had last seen him play live at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival in 2016, and also at the Barbican in 2013 with Bob James (Steve Gadd was on drums) - both hugely enjoyable gigs. Also had the pleasure of a performance at the Royal Festival Hall many years ago, with Marcus Miller on bass - that was amazing to say the least! My friends and I, actually managed to sneak in to the band rehearsal in the afternoon for 10 minutes, before we were noticed and asked to promptly leave!

Thanks for all the wonderful and uplifting music, regularly played here, RIP Dave.

3 Likes

I don’t think I ever saw him live but I did enjoy viewing his late night ‘Night Music’ show on US/Canada TV back around 1989/90. Strong jazz and fusion content in that one, including appearances by Sun Ra and Miles Davis.

3 Likes

Don’t want to divert but Marcus Miller is a bucket list gig.
I got to meet him and chat and got the selfies and autographs.
David Sanborn I seen live and he had Charnett Moffett on bass he flew in just for that gig and away. :scream: :+1:t2:

2 Likes

I last saw Marcus Miller play at Ronnie Scott’s in 2022, when I took my son and daughter there for the first time - brilliant gig as expected.

Enjoyed all the other gigs I have seen him perform, including at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival in 2012, when I met and chatted with him after the gig. Got his autograph that time, though I didn’t want a selfie - why spoil a photograph with me in it!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing :+1:t2:
Usher hall Edinburgh October 2015.
Never thought we would be so lucky to see him live David Sanborn years earlier too.

2 Likes

Looking forward to seeing Marcus Miller at Ronnie Scott’s in July! David and Marcus made some great music together.

3 Likes

@Monkey_Jim
Hope you have a great gig and if you haven’t seen him live before remember your seat belt. :scream: :rofl: :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Gilles Peterson had a tribute to David on BBC 6 Music - you can listen to it here:
BBC Radio 6 Music - Gilles Peterson, Wendell Harrison & David Sanborn

There’s also this interview and overview of his work from 2011 with Alyn Shipton on Radio 3:
BBC Radio 3 - Jazz Library, David Sanborn

I thought I’d seen another recent tribute programme on Radio 3 since his death, but I don’t seem to be able to find it…

Mark

4 Likes