RIP Dusty Hill

So do I, being brought up on Free/Bad Company etc, they tick all my boxes.

Yes, agreed. I was fortunate to see Bad Company live and they were excellent

I know the feeling When legends pass away. Iam 80 my legends include louis armstrong in concert
Chuck berry .fats domino. Etc.

3 Likes

Very sad. Hard to believe. Gone way too early.

1 Like

I got to see Paul Rogers and Jimmy Page in concert in the early eightees, with the band The Firm.That was outstanding, and a shame they did not stick together long.
ZZ top just knew how to groove, and everyone liked them.

2 Likes

I did notice recently billy gibbons had been doing a lot of gigs with other artists. Dusty must of been
Unwell for some time. Very sad.

2 Likes

In our old house in Milton Keynes we were close to MK Bowl. Probably about 89/90 ZZ played the Bowl one Saturday evening and we could quite clearly hear Dusty’s bass lines from our back garden. RIP.

3 Likes

They were defo there July 91.

2 Likes

Sue & I saw them at Wem-ber-ley (sic) some twenty years ago. Amazed at how three guys, playing “simple” Texas boogie could keep 10000 people mesmerised for two hours.

Brilliant stuff - culminating in the “smoke and spinning guitars” finale!

2 Likes

Here is the last song he ever played - he must have been feeling very unwell to be sitting like that…heartbreaking. And being assisted off the stage, with the bass guitar apparently being too heavy for him.

I saw them in 1978 in Rochester, NY, and was amazed at how much sound a 3-man outfit could produce.

1 Like

Just watched a video clip of the first performance since Dusty died with Elwood his bass technician standing in with his blessing. He plays really well…….but could not help thinking, a little magic had been lost.

There’s a nice tribute by Billy Gibbons over on Dig…

2 Likes

Check out the ZZ Top documentary on Netflix if you can find it. Really great.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will do! :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.