RIP John Byrne

Raising a large Ouzo to the polymath and magnificent soul that was John Byrne.

G

6 Likes

The often overworked expression “Genius” really did apply in his case.

There’ll be some new murals appearing Upstairs shortly.

R.I.P. John.

1 Like

Totally agree. His retrospective at Kelvingrove was an astonishing collection, and testament to this. I was so moved I nearly cried.

RIP John.

G

2 Likes

When someone you admire and whom you’ve met and spent some time with dies, it can be terribly moving. I know little of his work, and must find out more. There is a nice little summary here.

2 Likes

Last night I watched the first episode of Tutti Frutti on BBC Iplayer.

Emma Thompson does a very convincing Glasgow accent.

Available for another three weeks.

1 Like

Very sad news. John Byrne has been an inspiration ever since I cut out a black and white Radio Times pencil drawing of a dinosaur skeleton playing an electric guitar that he did for their radio pages. I thought this little drawing was absolutely wonderful! Such wit and invention clearly evident despite the small print repro size. I eventually found out more about his work later in HE, and always kept a few postcard repros dotted on the wall of my studios over the years. Probably more widely known for the plays and TV work, but for me he was just a fabulously skilled illustrative painter.

1 Like

Breathtaking skill. I bought a mezzotint last year.

G

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.