RIP Jonathan Sachs

I always enjoyed his thoughtful contributions to the Today programme on BBC R4.

Lord Jonathan Sacks, former chief rabbi, dies aged 72 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54857556

7 Likes

A great moral leader and raiser of the tone of the public debate.

With no political or religious discussion allowed on the forum, it’s difficult to choose one of his sayings to post to remember him by, since he talked about little else, but I hope the following passes muster:

‘We need to remember that societies are strong when they care for the weak. They are rich when they care for the poor. And they are invulnerable when they care for the vulnerable. When we restore the social covenant, we defeat politics of anger and re-create politics of hope’

Mark

8 Likes

It is a very sad day when such a lovely person is no longer with us .
I never heard him say anything with which I disagreed.
He had the most natural and mellifluous voice .
Requiescat in Pace.

1 Like

The Jewish equivalent of RIP is A’’H which stands for alav hashalom - may peace be upon him.

Mark

3 Likes

I also enjoyed listening to him speak on the Today programme many times. It seems to me that he was always at peace, almost more than anyone else I can think of, so I think peace will indeed be upon him.

Best

David

2 Likes

Indeed. His website has an archive of all his recent Thoughts for the Day, including the last one he did back in May which was no less inspiring than his others:

@Richard.Dane : I hope this link will be permissible under forum AUP.

Mark

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.