Rip Steve wright

I can’t believe I’ve just heard Steve wright has passed away
I don’t know about you lot but I grew up listening to him on radio 1 and 2 what a shock this is .

15 Likes

RIP :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

Gosh. I remember his maverick radio 1 days and we occasionally caught his R2 weekend shows in the car. Sixty nine is no age.

G

2 Likes

That is a shock. Too young.

Many times listening to the Afternoon Show with his many characters and phone in “ guests “
Oh Mr Angry will be now.
Gone to join the posse in the sky.
Thanks for the laughs Steve RIP

4 Likes

Relatively young … sad news.
Steve Wright: BBC Radio 2 presenter dies aged 69 Steve Wright: BBC Radio 2 presenter dies aged 69 - BBC News

Really great broadcasting talent who influenced many others, very sad to see he has died.

BBC full of how sorry they are and how much he will be missed…… not a word about how they removed him from his afternoon show after 24 years…

RIP Steve.

4 Likes

Way too young for this legend of radio broadcasting.

Mr Angry, Diamond Geezer, Gervais the Hairdresser, et al will be putting smiles on faces in that great gig in the sky tonight.

R.I.P. Steve.

10 Likes

Gutted… I also have great memories of listening to his Radio 1 shows as a kid… so sad, way too young. RIP Steve

1 Like

RIP Steve Wright. First saw Steve on the Radio 1 roadshow back in 1982, but really remember him for the posse and being the true inventor of the ‘zoo’ format - Mr. Spoons, Grizzler, Mr Food, Mr. Angry. The Arnold Schwarznegger spoofs. The MC Hammer spoof - I had the back off my telly and the wires were live - Don’t Touch It!’ Flipping Genius.

3 Likes

Blimey, sounds sudden if he was pre-recording a show the other day.

1 Like

Gosh……played my life❤️

2 Likes

Pretentious music journalist.

Bluechap…

Great characters.

1 Like

He lived for radio and this is what happens when something you love is taken away from you. BBC are a disgrace.

1 Like

R.I.P. Steve Wright.

So sad to hear of his passing. I really enjoyed his shows.

3 Likes

So sad, :disappointed: genuine talent and originality “DaveDoubledecks “ etc

3 Likes

Steve Wright was an innovator who took his audience seriously by working hard to make them laugh and have a better day by celebrating all that is good in our crazy lives.

Thanks for the many happier days - RIP Steve

6 Likes

A real shock. I saw him at the height of his pomp (with Simon Bates) at a Radio 1 Roadshow - Westward Ho!, 29 August 1985. Remember listening to his show on the school bus home each afternoon. RIP Steve.

7 Likes

I suspect the BBC simply has an automated cut and paste response (probably machine generated) whenever a revered artist leaves/gets “retired”) that they issue to the press.

Says all the right things without an ounce of care or sincerity.

Shame they didn’t choose to “move on” the likes of J Saville the same way.

4 Likes

Possibly ! However I’m more cynical than that re the BBC