Rock Books You Absolutely Must Have in Your Library

Dear All I would like to share with you my list of Rock books You Absolutely Must Have in Your Library such

Thanks !

2 Likes

IMG_9218

7 Likes

Greil Marcus, Mystery Train
Ian MacDonald, Revolution in the Head

4 Likes

This one

because I’m one of the five who won a signed copy years ago here on the forum!

And this

md31133412825

because it’s a great book and I read it like a novel, learning all sorts of things that made me love the subject of the book even more.

2 Likes

Well too many to list anyway some other gems

1 Like

This is the essential one for me. A great read. Keith Richards “Life” :sunglasses:

2 Likes

More reference work than narrative, but a work nonetheless of genius.

11 Likes

Here’s a couple I enjoyed. Both written ‘Autobiographically’ which I always prefer to read, warts and all, than the views of a third party writer. The Joe Jackson is particularly well written, the John Illsley is more of a document/history, but fascinating if you care about the band.

IMG_0166

IMG_0165

8 Likes

I’ve been meaning to try that. Thanks for the reminder!

Not got a copy of this yet, but saw it in the Abbey Road shop and it looked good:

The Great British Recording Studios by Howard Massey

Mark

3 Likes

_9780571328284

Viv Albertine - Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys.

A must read for fans of Punk

4 Likes

This is not a Rock Book, but a book I recommend to all audiophiles.

5 Likes

Absolutely - fascinating and enlightening from cover to cover.

1 Like

I have read and enjoyed a few rock books including Keith Richard’s bio but the outstanding one, imo, is Testimony by Robbie Robertson. Why? Because he details the creative process so well and the sheer hard work and sacrifice need to produce musical masterpieces.

7376A77C-F3B2-4F29-BFA2-9FBB5A7CE8D6_4_5005_c

2 Likes

Groupie by Jenny Fabian, is a look behind the scenes of Rock and Roll in the seventies. I read it years ago, and I bet the language is dated now, and the more politically correct will be reaching for the smelling salts.

I read the group in the book was Family, my favourite seventies band.

4 Likes

Any Patti Smith book is a good read, but this one and M Train are worth a look at:

1 Like

I’ll get my coat…

3 Likes