Rock - not sounding so good?

Great album, one of my favourite live albums and a fantastic live band. One of my other favourite live albums of a similar era is Tokyo Tapes by the Scorpions although I have never played it on my current system.

1 Like

One of the problems with rock music is ensuring the bass and guitar don’t overlap too much in the frequency bands especially with overdriven guitar. Over emphasis in the guitar bass frequencies causes muddiness when added to bass guitar. Lead guitar should live in the mid range but it can be easy to overemphasize this leading to thin overly bright sound.
I find it difficult to get right in some venues we play (if I can still remember what that’s like) :sob:
Mastering/mixing is critical to get these two instruments to sound clear, precise and harmonious.

2 Likes

I love your set up of black sleek components sitting on white, very striking and cool… :yum:

1 Like

I thought the bigger problem in the mix was keeping the bass guitar frequencies clear of bass drum space - after all they naturally overlap more than guitar and bass?

I agree and often on recordings it can be difficult to differentiate kick drum from bass certainly on my system. I imaging with better equipment this would improve. However IME of playing many live gigs it’s important for the guitar mid range to stand out in the mix. Turn the bass tone control up too much and guitar can get lost and muddied.
I have a couple of friends who are pro sound engineers and frequently shelve off the lower guitar frequencies at the mixing desk.

1 Like

And of course some playing deliberately combines the two instruments, so differentiating is not really intended! (I have assumed.)

Yes bass frequently mirrors kick drum. Would love to hear some really top end systems with effective room treatment to hear how or not this separates out.

I think the problem with rock (and certainly the heavier stuff I’m into) is that it tends to be mixed with very little bass - hence sounding harsh in the systems with neutral balance. I had to rip all my metal CDs with boosted bass through DBPoweramp in order to make them just about listenable on my Nova. One genre where tone controls /DSP would be immensely helpful.

Queen (half speed remastered)
Roxy Music
Beatles remastered
Lennon (Gimme Some Truth)
McCartney/Wings (half speed remastered)
Eagles
Kraftwerk

…if you consider the above to be rock

1 Like

Yesterday I listened to PJ Harvey’s To Bring You My Love, a well-recorded alternative rock album on vinyl.

I played Side A on the main system, but switched to the vintage 70’s Pioneer system for Side B - what was lost in terms of definition was more than compensated for in terms of rhythm, punch and smoother mids. Overall, a more involving experience.

Clearly the album wasn’t recorded with high end systems in mind.

Claude

1 Like

Agreed. My first Naim purchase, a Mu-So QB2, was this month. So far the one type of music that it can’t handle (IMHO) is hard rock/heavy metal and current pop, most of which is badly mastered. On the other hand, I am happy with its handling of orchestral music (although with obvious limitations) and smaller scale works.

Fortunately, most of my rock/pop listening occurs during my workouts (and a lot of that is on headphones) or during cleaning/cooking etc. I almost never sit down and listen to a rock album any more.

I agree that jazz can sound great. On another thread I recommended “Jazz and the Abstract Truth” as sounding especially good. At the same time I realized I hadn’t listened to it in a while. Played it twice through in the past 24 hours.

p.s. I also haven’t listened to “Mingus, Mingus, Mingus, Mingus, Mingus” in a while. Need to give that a “spin.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.