Roon 1.8

Looks really great from what we can see so far.
The Focus tool goes a lot further than today, and even the simple dashboard will provide an interesting angle on listening habits.
Lets see what the next 4 days’ worth of information e mails tells us!

3 Likes

Here’s the Darko link … which has more information.

4 Likes

missed that bit, thats really good, wil make searching new music.

haha I was just thinking I’ve never had an email saying (part 1 of 5)

1 Like

Thanks for this. Looks very promising!

1 Like

There is, confirmed by a Roon dev. And really so obvious that there never was any danger that it wouldn’t!

3 Likes

I guess it’s time, for those interested, to buy a lifetime license.

Not sure it’ll remain available any longer.

2 Likes
3 Likes

SST records, that takes me back to late nights in Tower records hunting for Dinosaur Jnr, Screaming Trees, Husker Du etc, need to dig them out some great records.

3 Likes

:heart: It’s a shame how they are usually recorded. I mean, I loved Spot’s engineering for political and artistic reasons, but listening to them now on a good system (and having seen many SST bands live) I can’t help but wonder what might have been if the records had had more oomph. But the most infuriating thing is that Hüsker Dü’s post-SST major label releases were subjected to the worst engineering ever.

Still breathtaking music though in large part. I once set out to acquire the complete catalog (not necessarily all original pressings) and am quite far along, like 270 or so, but of course you acquire a lot of the filler that Ginn thought he needed in later years to bolster the catalog to look more impressive to Walmart. But it’s a historian’s project for me and there is the odd gem among them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent - it would not surprise me if there’s a light/dark option in Roon already, but I can’t find it!

Ah! And now I get it why you were worried! I was wondering how you could think that they would lose it along the way, haha. I don’t even know anymore where it is, first thing I enabled. Let me look, I’ll be back in a minute.

@Alley_Cat: Top left hamburger menu > Settings > Setup > Theme > Dark

1 Like

3 Likes

Must be your phone, works perfectly on mine. 6s latest iOS version.

2 Likes

Agree, these bands I saw live a good few times in Glasgow good sound , but the recordings sounded as if the were recorded underwater, particularly Husker Du.
Yet the Trees, J Mascis and Bob Mould’s later recordings after SST sounded way better.

Must have set it to dark ages ago, unless it was default option.

As I get older I’m really not bothered fiddling in menus looking to tweak things or have too much clutter/info on screen.

Far too much software, especially from Apple, now uses cryptic unintuitive methods to find options/alternate actions. Same for things like Microsoft Office, the old apps were good, we now use cloud based ones for work which look awful, are sluggish and have awful UIs. I guess I use 5% of functionality on offer but don’t need or want the rest (or maybe don’t know what I’m missing). Microsofts Analytics for Outlook are completely pointless and irrelevant to me.

2 Likes

The Trees (loving this band) and Mould did, Mascis and Dino were up and down IMO. Green Mind was good. Then the reunion Dinos are just as bad as the old ones, I really don’t know why. When they released Farm (I think), the manufacturer made some error and used the wrong master or something. Dino sent an email and recalled, apologizing for the poor sound, but I hadn’t noticed, thinking it was Dino like always! Then they sent the correct replacements but it sounded just as bad to me. :man_shrugging:
I suppose Mascis might be hard of hearing, would be understandable at our (same) age, but he stood in front of a Marshall stack turned to 11 for nearly 50 years, so.

1 Like

Problem always is, there are 5% that everyone uses and after that everyone uses 5% more, but different 5% for everyone. Have mercy with us poor software developers and supporters.

2 Likes

Loved the Trees and some of Marks solo stuff, not all, I liked “Where you Been” from Dinosaur Jnr and also the compilation Ear Bleeding Country, better masterings of early stuff. The Marshall stack bit is spot on I saw the reformed band in a small club my hearing wasn’t the same for days, loud didn’t cover it.

I’m just getting old - might have used 50% or more of features with many software products in their early days when they were much simpler, perhaps that 50% is now 5% of what’s on offer and I’ve not kept up to date with new features through lack of need or simply laziness/ignorance. There are probably several ways I could be more efficient with email but I’m stuck in the past. Microsoft Teams has proved handy during the pandemic but what an utter mess of an application

1 Like