Roon 1.8

I didn’t know, thanks! Yeah, ear shattering in a small club, so beautiful. I miss concerts, I still have Swans tickets (speaking about shattered ears) for a postponed concert. Damn pandemic. But on the upside, next summer will be the biggest party ever for months

1 Like

It is well reported. On iPhone 11.

I recommend Bubblegum. That voice goes well with Naim

I must be lucky then, I use it constantly and don’t remember a crash happening. Maybe newer phones are impacted.

Yes I have Bubblegum, it was one that teased/reminded me of the Trees, kept hoping he would return to more of a rock style, Bubblegum was close.

1 Like

I know that Roon is bit perfect if you play lossless.
Just wondering if anyone here knows any trick(s) that can make it sound better?

5 Likes

Right, that is one of some reasonable optimizations, just cost a bit more. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know there have been debates in the past about Roon’s sound quality with other apps possibly being better. Ultimately the beauty of Roon is the RAAT engine in the compatible output devices such as Naim’s current streamers - I’d imagine this is optimised for little sonic difference between wi-fi, ethernet etc, it is certainly pretty stable.

I have preferred Audirvana for some things including subjective sound quality but Roon is simply pretty easy to use and traditionally more stable.

Many options in Roon of course to potentially tweak the sound. Simply don’t have time or inclination to fiddle these days and just enjoy it as is. Probably best to check their forum for hints and tips, though several seasoned Roon users here are likely to help.

2 Likes

Or when Roon is bridged and a UPnP stream is presented to a Naim Network player, this is the same format as a Uniti Core, Unitiserve, Asset or Minim UPnP server would present, so that nulls that argument.
Plus you can then use Roon with Naim equipment without the native Roon support.
Furthermore the UPnP stream can be set to present a WAV format for PCM files, and DSD64 for dsf/dff files, in line with Naim past recommendations on the Uniti Core & Unitiserve to rip/store and play WAV due to lower processing requirement in the player.

Best of all worlds, perhaps.

I use a SonoreUPnP Bridge into my NDS/555DR driven through Roon, which runs on ROCK based NUC5i3 with library of 90k tracks on a NAS.

Looking forward to release of Roon 1.8
I understand it has been in development for some time, taking lots of input from their community of testers.

3 Likes

There has been dark mode for a long time. It’s in the setup section of settings.

1 Like

Stereonet also have a short article and some screenshots, including one in dark mode.

1 Like

As long as the UI doesn’t get more complicated, I am fine with a change.

1 Like

Yes, I do wonder if they plan on announcing the withdrawal of lifetime subscriptions at the same time as this big release

Edited to correct terminology…

Cancelling lifetime subscriptions probably depends on the average costumer profile, and the annual growth of new subscriptions.

Will the lifetime subscriptions be ended after 1.8 or 2.0 being released? No, idea.

It could well take a different direction : increasing the lifetime subscription fee, once again.

They did, however, say in one post by Roon staff on the Roon forum, in autumn, that they don’t really like lifetime as they would prefer a steady income stream, and that they were pondering to end the option by the end of 2020. May or may not happen, or they might increase the fee again, but it’s a bet if someone wants it and does not get it now.

They are not going cancel lifetime subs, they will withdraw the option to purchase any new ones. Saying they are cancelling it could be misconstrued that they they are revoking the license you paid for and you now have to pay again, which is not the case at all.

That’s not what I/we meant. Obviously :smile:

Yes, of course. “Cancel” by Mrpseudonym surely meant meant that, everything else would be suicide and would require them to be prime you know what. (And I am sure they would be sued)

But agreed, “cancel” is not a good term for this and invites misunderstandings that are better avoided

My point was just that if you want one, better get it now.

I’m still yearly after 4 years. Take more than that to recoup the cost now. I have no issues with subscription at all, if it gives me an evolving product .

1 Like