Roon 1.8

I was wondering the same thing, can’t see reason for it

2 Likes

It’s all to do with contexrt, and the context of that 2nd cover is potentially very dubious.

Music is art, and so is artwork for music releases. Art often tries to shock.

My Carcass albums and EPs have turned out to be a good investment. Once again I have proven my parents wrong!

Exactly, the artwork of the second one is not even the biggest problem with it, the album title is, without using a single offensive or explicit word.

And that’s why a binary “explicit” or “offensive” rating can never work, and is dangerous when enforced (as we saw in the past with the PMRC)

Sorry don’t know what PMRC is and reluctant to even Google it or that album’s title.

It’s the Nancy Reagan organization that forced the “Explicit Lyrics” stickers on albums in the 80ies, Parents Music Resource Center. It was bad enough when Walmart et al. then refused to carry albums with that sticker and pre-Internet the Walmart being the only place for many, many people where they could buy music. US democracy averted worse things, but if the PMRC had had their way, people saying things that Nancy Reagan did not want to hear would have been silenced nationwide.

1 Like

Sounds a bit like Mary Whitehouse.

Same thing. Which is fine by me if they want to tune out everything that might be challenging, but leave me alone with it

There just needs to be some kind of balance.

Adults should be allowed to view adult or potentially offensive content.

I would still maintain digital systems are in their infancy when it comes to protecting minors from adult themed content, especially artwork.

I’ll often play music and have to jump to the controls when I realise expletives are pending in one of many tracks that are otherwise family friendly.

The kids probably here more profanity from me than from TV/music - not proud of that at all, but reality, and I suspect what they hear increasingly on the playground/from their peers as they get older!

Yes, you can’t replace parenting with pattern matching. And in many ways, parenting has become more challenging in a digital world. On the other hand, it was also difficult to avoid the hugely offensive things that were said as a matter of course 40 or 50 years ago by analog people in real life. Like, one guy from an Austrian 60s/70s rock band said in an interview that he could not get on a tram in Vienna in the early seventies without hearing about gas chambers. He had long hair, you see. And being a bit younger and having grown up in that world I know it’s true. That’s what’s offensive to me more than f***ck this and s***ck that

Hmm it goes a little further than nude art in some, with some rather explicit sexual images albiet cartoonish. But it’s not done for stirring up publicity it’s definitely part of her persona and art.

God yes. My youngest tells me off all the time.

All stems from living with the a bunch of foul-mouthed college pals I think - keep telling the kids it’s pure laziness if I can’t think of anything nicer to say. The reality is more akin to the fact these responses are buried into the ‘fast thinking’ subconscious mind which higher cortical function being slower struggles to suppress. That’s my excuse anyway.

Nude art is a large field :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love Roon 1.8. It is an incredible tool for discovering new music. The last few days had been intoxicating. It is a new adventure that opens so many new doors for discovering new music.
Essentially, Roon is moving beyond a library management software and becoming a MUSIC ENCYCLOPEDIA. There are many paths you can take and could be distracting for sure. Though full of choices for endless enjoyment.
This is the path forward for unleashing the power of streaming from a giant library at your fingertips. Fantastic!

7 Likes

The new procedure for removing a tag from an album is a cruel joke. Did nobody every try this during development?

1 Like

Slightly off topic - Does anyone use HQPlayer + Roon? I am curious to know what benefits HQPlayer brings to the Roon users?

It’s mainly used for people wanting DSP, it’s generally looked at as the best DSP engine out there for upsampling and they use it to upsample to native Res of the DAC rather than let it do itself. Think of it as a software Mscaler. Users say it sound better than anything else. But you need a powerful pc to run it and then dedicated NAA (networked audio adaptors) as endpoints, you can’t use it using Roon Ready.

Thanks @CrystalGipsy for the explanation. I guess that HQPlayer is not relevant for me since I do not connect my streamer directly to a PC or a Mac.

1 Like

I have heard the effect of only the HQPlayer NAA over RAAT. But not long enough to be sure it was better and not just different. None of the DSP-stuff in HQPlayer was enabled, just replacing RAAT. It was claimed the HQPlayer NAA is tweaked UPnP.