Roon 1.8

It’s an option for sure and their point of view makes sense (the software we develop at work is also a yearly fee) and an argument can be made for the customer POV as well - everyone is happy with 10 a month for Netflix, why not here. And as you say, you are supporting ongoing development.

In my case, I was thinking that I was making a lifetime commitment as well, not so much because of the price of the core machine (though mine is fancy and not cheap), but more so because of the huge amount of time I am investing for the metadata. I will not do this again for another product, so I took out the lifetime license right away. And it gives me more peace of mind now when investing the time

1 Like

Yes my linguistic error. I did mean stop offering new ones. (Its terrible when you make an error on this forum then go to bed … )

It is all about company valuations. Not all revenue is equal. A lifetime subscription gets more money in the door initially but does nothing to increase the value of the company. In this world we live in ‘sticky’ subscription revenue is what leads to high valuation multiples … be it for an IPO or a trade sale

1 Like

Sure, valuation is an issue. But subscription makes sense too, because users are typically not happy with buying a version once and then sticking forever with what it is. They except, of course, constant development - and that is just not going to happen for just the license fee someone paid 15 years ago.

The lifetime was probably a good way to get some capital when Roon was young. Anyways, they were offering it and I took it, it was extremely good value for me even at the increased cost a few months ago - 5 euros per month if I use it for 10 years (and I expect it will be longer)

Agreed. This is a little unusual in that the perpetual license comes with regular updates for no additional cost

1 Like

Unless of course a totally new company introduces a program that outperforms Roon.

Well we know it won’t be Naim. :scream:

1 Like

Sure, but first movers have a huge advantage. Where I work, it’s an extremely profitable field (also software) that you wouldn’t expect, and sometimes someone notices, thinks “how hard can it be”, and wants in - but then they realize that to get to where we are right now, they will have to write a few million lines of code and invest a decade. Plus, there is a large existing user base who would have to throw out their own work of a decade and start over with the other guys. These attempts never last long. (In addition, it actually is hard as soon as you start thinking about the problem in more depth)

And I think that the potential Roon user base can very healthily sustain Roon, but it won’t attract the likes of Google or Apple who can simply throw unlimited bodies at the problem.

And even if such a company comes up - by the time they are better, I will have had my good value from Roon already, and if the new guys can’t offer full import of my Roon edits, I don’t care to begin with

4 Likes

True.

Now They have a new monthly plan as well, 12,99$ per month

I am a very happy life time subscriber

2 Likes

Somewhat paradoxically the customer base of lifetime subscribers while a hindrance to company valuation are a help in defending off a potential newcomer as they would be the most loyal and least likely to jump

5 Likes

Head of Product at Roon is offering up a demo online to the first 100 users. Sign up on the forum, 8.30 GMT.

Hurry up.

The demo was great to see the new library features in context and not screen grabs. They have put a lot of effort into this release and it takes it way above anything else out there and for some time. The depth of the search now is quite something compared to 1.7.

Can’t wait to test it. Good to hear your @simon.pepper asking questions.

6 Likes

I should have asked you to find out if they fixed the artist handling :slight_smile:

In what way do you mean?

Yes, thanks - normally on the other side, giving the demo.

Roon 1.8 looks like a game changer for Roon, with a strong redesign.

Have been a Roon user since 1.0 Beta back in April ‘15 (just checked my Email, and there was one from Mike himself with the original Beta release). How far it has come.

4 Likes

Yep it makes 1.7 look antiquated. The tools it gives you to find stuff is truly a game changer. Puts all th streaming services to shame. It shows they do listen and this has been a labour of love for a long time.

I like how they made it very clear your music is first, every thing else is below it.

The new discovery methods look great too although being reliant on other users for selecting the recommended listening will come under criticism no doubt. But considering metadata for classical is pretty crap how else is it going to work.

4 Likes

Damn I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I would have loved to seen a live demo from the Head of Product

It was a really interesting half an hour demo, also nice to see the faces and hear the passion.
Also to hear your cameo @simon.pepper at the Q&A that Mike didn’t think he was going to do until you cornered him :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Another excited vote for the new release and the excellent demo. The breakthrough on treating everything in Tidal, and the collective Roon user base experiences as a matching and suggesting engine is simply stunning. I think classical fans will like the new structure / hierarchy for seeing albums, but it was a perfect parallel for how he demonstrated Beethoven / Ella Fitzgerald / Justin Timberlake and then Kind of Blue to show how many different parts of the metadata are rolled together to enable new views. Really good job by the Roon team, and great to see other forum folks online also.

For those unsure, highly recommended to do the free trial after this new release is out… very very cool.

Regards alan

2 Likes

Keep your eyes peeled in your email and maybe on the Roon forum… Mike mentioned probably doing another session, later tonight (EST).

Regards alan

1 Like