Roon 1.8

Does someone know how to associate compositions (in 1.7)? I added an album to my library that Roon knew somewhat from its metadata but not very well. (The album is not in Qobuz, but ripped CD). It contains some cover versions of songs (e.g., some Lou Reed, some John Cale, some Libertines, etc.), in German. Some but not all had a proper Composer credit from Roon. I added/corrected the Composer credit where necessary. Some now have a “Go to composition” option in the menu and some don’t, no idea why. But in either case I can’t find a way to tell it which composition this is, i.e., to associate it with the original song and its other, known cover versions.

I never really use composition feature at all. So cant help.

1 Like

Will do @CrystalGipsy

COMPOSITION (or WORK) is probably mostly used for classical music.

The following tags are the ones that really allow to manage a classical music library

• CONDUCTOR
  • SOLOIST
  • ENSEMBLE
  • COMPOSER
  • COMPOSITION (or WORK)
  • MOVEMENT (or PART)
  • GENRE
  • PERIOD

The above is the minimum in my opinion.

Some are redundant, like :

• COMPOSITION and WORK

• MOVEMENT and PART

Roon uses WORK and PART, but I keep adding COMPOSITION and MOVEMENT (in case I change to another library manager, which unlikely).

The tags ARTIST and ALBUM are irrelevant (and nearly useless) for classical music.

Those are the ones I use :

Thanks for taking the time, but I cannot follow. Not sure if important but my example was not classical music. And I am using the Credits feature within Roon, not file tags (in this case). What I need is, I guess, something like Composition but I cannot find this in Roon. I want to tell it that some song with a German title was composed by, e.g. Lou Reed (which I did sucdessfully by using the Composer credit) and is actually the same composition as Reed’s original song -I am failing at the latter. Roon has a notion of this because it can show you cover versions of a song. But I fail at telling it that this German song should also appear as a cover version of this Reed song

Absolutely stunning product with a class-leading UX. What is awesome is that the Focus-function now is extended beyond (!) your library and can even span Tidal and Qobuz. A long-awaited feature for me
Iver

3 Likes

Yep it really is that good. Focus is phenomenal. Strangely I LOVE the ‘Recent listening’ and ‘What you’ve been listening to’ features from the Home Screen.

1 Like

Once 1.8 is officially released, I’d love to hear your take on what they’ve done in regard to Classical. From what I can tell it’s well done at least for a newbie Classical listener. (only listened to 1h 12m of classical last week :slight_smile: )

I understand what you seek.
I don’t see how you could achieve that.

In your context you have only the following TAGS available : ALBUM, ARTIST, TRACK and COMPOSER.

Not sure you can achieve what you seek with those tags.

Well, for ones it’s much easier for classical music.

WORK :

• String Quartet No.14 in C sharp minor Op.131
    PART :
  • Allegro

You can have the same WORK and PART in many ALBUMS, and all are linked together.

The “credits” part of Roon is associated with several other tags.

I suggest you take a look at Roon’s " File Tag Best Practice "

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/file-tag-best-practice

Most of my library is Classical music. I have ~3700 classical “albums”.

When it comes to organising it, classical music is a mess. A huge mess!

No other library manager is able to do the job, not even close to it.

Roon was a revelation :blush:

3 Likes

Well in Roon there are a huge number of credits that you can add, not just these. And there is a separate editing page for the composition, but what I am looking for is not there. However, Roon itself has a notion of this, e.g.:

The “3” and “17” on the right are links to the other (cover) version of this song that you have in your library and all of Qobuz, respectively. One would think that you can add another track to this.

I did look at the Roon docs, but did not find it there. Your link is about file tagging, which I don’t really need. I’d prefer to edit in the Roon database anyway, where I’d think it has more possibilities.

Indeed, a lot more.

I try to tag my files myself and not rely to much on Roon’s database.

If I decide to change to another library manager, I’ll have all the tags in the files.

I don’t like the idea of completely relying on a piece of software :nerd_face:

1 Like

When you export from Roon, it supposedly puts the Roon metadata as tags into the files, but I don’t know if sufficiently well for classical needs:

Nevertheless, I also tag my files when I rip the CDs, at least with the basic stuff. But in this particular case, with the composition association, I would not expect it to work with file tags. But as Roon does understand this in principle, I got the idea to add these other songs

I also love tagging! Strange thing with upcoming release I don’t know where to remove tags is located. I’m sure it’s there but I haven’t located it yet.

Drop me a DM over there so I know it’s you.

1 Like

Have a look at the thread ‘no tag and playlist indicators…’ in the Beta forum, I had the same question and then worked it out, editing my post (post #12) with how to do it.
I have the same forum name over there, different avatar.

1 Like

Thanks ChrisH, I did get it figured out late last night.

1 Like

Wowww couple of albums :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really hope that Wake-On-LAN will be implemented in release 1.8. When opening the app my Mac Mini Roon Server would start automatically. I have requested this feature more than 2 years ago already. :disappointed:

About downgrading to older versions of Roon :

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/downgrading

2 Likes