Roon and Naim Streamers (Choices and Problems)

I installed “roon server” via the QNAP App Center. I connected the SSD to the NAS via USB. I defined the location of the roon database via the roon server settings. It is important that the folder of the music database has the name “RoonServer”. That’s how it should work. Good luck!

I used to run it this way, but then I bought a 128gb sata SSD drive and an enclosure, so I could connect it to one of the Qnap USB ports. I deleted the Roon core and then reinstalled it on the SSD. It works much faster that way, and disc noise is far reduced.

I started out with a QNap 453-DX with Roon on SSD chips, but found the sound of the Roon Nucleus+ to be a significant improvement, especially with their recommended internal SSD. Substituting a Sean Jacobs/Custom HiFi Cables DC3 power supply for the supplied wallwart doubled this performance lift. If you are using Roon, I would strongly recommend this combination.

Helpful Michael. That is not so far away from where I have ended up too in terms of servers.

Does it mean search performance? Any differences wrt SQ?

I suspect that Michael means primarily sound quality, as the power supply won’t affect the speed of the NUC’s / Nucleus’s processor.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

Bluesfan is quite correct. I’m sorry for being ambiguous: I was referring exclusively to sound quality

Thanks @Michaelb, I guess that I’ll need check out the Roon Nucleus+ plus the PSU !!!

Simon…I obviously need to get my hearing checked out. :grinning: Whilst waiting for the NDX2 to be delivered, I demoed the Qutest with my Bluesound Node 2, (£499) for a weekend. I could not, neither could my partner, hear any improvement. The guys at The Audiobarn were shocked!
I would have thought the DAC on the NDX2 would have been superior to that of the Hugo, or am I missing something?

Are you technically adept? You can build a Nucleus+ equivalent for about 1/4 the cost with an Intel NUC. Roonlabs has great step by step documentation for getting that setup.

I built one running Roon ROCK from a NUC8i7, 16 GB RAM (only really need 4 or 8), a 256 GB SSD (only need 64 or 128) for about $600. For another $130 I added a 1 TB SSD for audio file storage. I went from parts to working Roon on my network in about an hour. Then overnight for copying my library (about 600 GBs) to the SSD.

Alternatively, you can just point it to a NAS for the files if that’s what you already have.

2 Likes

Thanks @JosquinDesPrez, no tech problem of setting up, just now I am super-busy at work, so it is pushed back for a while.

FYI, I am currently using a MM, a tower PC, a AlienWare game laptop, and a QNAP to run the Roon server, and I am happy with the SQ.

Of course I am only using one at a time because of the license issue.

1 Like

sorry DJM, can you clarify ? you were talking first of the bluesound node/ qutest, then ndac on ndx2 vs ndx2/ hugo. Which combo sounds better ? do you prefer ndx2 with hugo?

Hi all - I’m happy with Audiostore black box running Roon, holding my music library and feeding an NDS. I’ve also got the Roon choice multirooming to my Unitiqutes.

The point now is getting Roon to run on the ‘qutes. I’ve tried setting them up as Roon zones with not much luck. I can add another location on the Audiostore box but it means moving away from the NDS setup. I suspect I need another device / bridge. I was thinking about a DigiOne or Raspberry Pi type solution, but if they fail then another Sonore Bridge.

Does anyone, or @Sloop_John_B and @trickydickie, have any solutions? Thanks in anticipation.
Steve

Steve

Have you contacted Audiostore for advice?

On the LMS-to-UPNP solution I’m using it’s possible to add multiple devices. I have 3 Muso QB’s as well as my NDS. I’d be surprised if your bridge wouldn’t do the same.

What doesn’t work well is multiroom though Roon to these devices, it doesn’t sync perfectly. You can overcome this issue by starting playback through Roon and opening the Naim app and starting a multiroom session from the playing streamer. Not as elegant but works well.

Richard

Not yet … it’s always a long conversation with Martin and I’m still catching up on the rugby.

I’ve cracked the ugly work around on multiroom but it’s using Roon in the other rooms that I’m struggling with. I rather not log in and out of software to change Roon outputs.

1 Like

The pi’s are good solution and very reasonably priced and also give you a full RAAT solution. However you would not be able to sync them with the NDS as that’s using Squeezebox. Roon will only allow grouping of like minded zones. This you could get round by using picore player operating system on a pi which would make the pi’s and whatever output board you choose into squeezebox endpoints and then can be grouped. But as trickiedickie mentioned syncing any device on UPnP is not great as Roon is not getting the correct info for any delays from the device as they all different clocks.

Not sure using the software bridge is the best solution as you would need to run it either on a seperate pc or nas or running in LMS which is already on the AudioStore, but running both LMS and Roon can lead to issues with them not seeing Roon as they connect to LMS and then cannot be seen. You can get around this in the plugins config by setting the ipaddress of the server to connect to. It’s a bit of phaff the software bridge if your not up on tweaking. I never got it to work consistently with my aging UPnP products but a lot do.

This seems a good solution. I’m afraid I’ve nothing better. FWIW I have 5 Roon endpoints and rarely if ever use multiroom.

.sjb

2 Likes

Thanks guys - that very helpful.
The multiroom is not an issue but I’ve been seduced by Roon and would like to use it on the ‘qutes so a pi solution seems the way forward.

It would seem surprising that the bridge in your device wouldn’t support more than one streamer at a time.

I think it can Richard but it requires rejigging the setup. Anyway I’ll give Martin a ring to see what he says.