Roon and NDX 2

Ah, thanks @JosquinDesPrez, this helps me to get to the settings advised by @CrystalGipsy.

This is how I have now changed the settings, turning DSD conversion off, DSD to PCM gain at 6dB because my ripped SACDs require at least 6 clicks upwards on the volume (not exactly equating to 6dB but 6dB is the highest option).

I do not have a clue what the other settings are and have left them as they are - precise minimum phase - is this the best option? 5th order (CLANS) - is this correct? SDM gain at 0dB - is this correct?

For the conversion settings below, do I need to change any of them?

Where do you get these from? What spe would be advisable and roughly how much are they?

In another Roon thread I saw this post…

Is turning off native DSD processing actually necessary as I am using the NDX 2?

No you don’t have to at all. It just takes the conversion away from the Naim streamer.

1 Like

So I may as well turn it back on?

I bought the model NUC8i7BEH. It’s the latest 8th generation Quad Core i7 model. To that I added a Samsung 970 EVO 250 GB NVMe M.2 SSD for the OS, 8 GB RAM, and a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB SATA III SSD for audio file storage. The NUC is available from all the usual places, but I bought mine NUC locally and the rest (memory, SSDs) on Amazon. Total cost was just over $700.

If you want something that just works out of the box as a Roon appliance, without the fuss of assembling it with RAM and SSD(s), and setting up and installing ROCK, you can get a Nucleus or Nucleus+, but at much greater cost. My $700 NUC has about the performance of a Nucleus+ @ $2500, and the latter still doesn’t include a SSD for audio file storage.

1 Like

Wow, that is quite expensive although only a quarter of the cost of the nucleus. For the time being I think I will stick to going upstairs and turning the laptop on!

Thank you very much for the details though, much appreciated.

The price really depends on what you want to do and achieve with Roon. You don’t necessarily need one, but if your serious about keeping Roon after your trial then having it running from a dedicated device is advised whether this is one you already own or one you get just for Roon. I would not really recommend running on a surface tablet as they are well below the recommended spec. It will work but may struggle at more complex tasks.

I have run my core on a few different computers with the last two using Roons own OS ROCK. This is designed to run Roon and Roon only as efficiently as possible. It was designed to run on an Intel NuC pc but can run pretty much on most modern intel based platforms. Both mine have been custom built PC’s and not NuCs. But it’s recommended to use a NuC.

You can order them from web already assembled or buy the bits yourself. A simple i3 CPU one can cost as little as £400 and would be fine for small to medium libraries, and running a few endpoints. If you want it to deal with everything you can throw at it and cope with a large growing librsry then the i7 ones are more advisable If you want it near or in your rack then a fanless one is recommended to keep audible noise levels at bay from the units fans. Also you don’t need the latest models. The older 7 series will do just fine and can be found cheaper. Roon will never use more than 2 cores so the quad cores are just being wasted.

This gives you the run down.
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

1 Like

Many thanks @CrystalGipsy, that gives me a bit more to look at.

I should point out that my laptop is actually the surface book which as far as I recall has an i7 processor, 16GB of Ram and a 500GB SSD.

1 Like

I may actually use my iMac as the core but the problem is that the Ethernet has stopped working - it sets a default isp to 169 etc. I have encountered the problem before and solved it by removing certain boot up files but this is not working. I am at a loss as to how I can solve it so it is WiFi only at the moment.

I have my NUC near my Fraim but not on it. My HVAC system makes far more noise than the fan on the NUC, which I can’t hear unless I put my ear within an inch or so of the cooling vent (when it runs, which it doesn’t always). The fanless case looks elegant, but might be overkill. You also end up voiding your NUC’s warranty taking it apart to put in a fanless case.

1 Like

Thanks. I think I would go for the fan less version if I proceed. Obviously it will be another month before My Roon trial is up so it would not make sense to do anything at the moment. my laptop will be good enough for now!

Unless there is a hardware fault, the problem with ethernet on the iMac is a solvable issue. You just need to find the right help for it. A Google search should reveal some steps for delting the current ethernet configuration and restoring a working one.

1 Like

I would let the streamer do the decode… Naim spent some time getting the DSD decode to sound right for the Naim platform

1 Like

Not if you but it ready built

1 Like

Get a usb ethernet adaptor and try one of those they cost peanuts. It’s not advised to run the room core on wireless especially if your using streaming services. Wireless is not full duplex and it can struggle as Roon is pulling and pushing out data all the time when streaming so.it could eat up the avialable bandwith you have. It can work but then it takes very little for wireless bandwidth to drop and then you get drop outs and endpoints disappearing.

1 Like

Yes, while I work on a fix for my iMac I will carry on with my more powerful surfacebook laptop with my newly purchased (ÂŁ11) usb to Ethernet adaptor.

1 Like

Ready built fanless NUCs are priced at a premium too. I priced one with same specs as my NUC and it’s over $1000. But once Roon has processed and indexed your library, the fan hardly ever runs, and when it does it’s much quieter than other ambient noises. At least for me I don’t see the necessity or benefit of a fanless case. I can hear my HVAC, I can hear my dog snore, I can hear cars go by outside. I cannot hear the fan on my NUC.

Well my i7 which is not a NuC but completely fanless and is custom milled case Runs ROCK cost ÂŁ525 fully assembled and 3 year warranty.

2 Likes

Yeah, that looks very nice.

I’m happy with my NUC as is, and I chose that path since it’s what is supported officially for ROCK, without the cost of Nucleus.