Roon and NDX 2

Wow, that looks the business -where is it from?

Hi @Simon-in-Suffolk, does that mean that attaching my sacd rips on an SSD to my NDX2 (or to my core) is as good as it can sound?

Could well be

My understanding is that this is only relevant if you are streaming to several endpoints at once, you can give one clock priority.

.sjb

1 Like

Try Googling the name on the front of the computer

3 Likes

Tranquil pc based in Manchester.

1 Like

Nearing the end of my Roon and Quobuz trials, I am not convinced that I know what I want yet. I still use the naim app a lot but also Roon from the same iPad. My core is still on my laptop which now has my rips on an attached SSD.

Roon is great for showing all available albums with source (tidal, quobuz etc.) and file quality plus it is probably the best interface of the two.

However, the Naim app works great with rips on an SSD connected to the NDX 2 and the in-built tidal app. Quobuz is accessible via chrome cast but for some reason the start of each track has drop outs for a few seconds - this does not happen on Roon. Apart from this one issue, there is no difference in stability between the Naim app and Roon.

When it comes to sound quality there is not much in it and I could never pass a blind listening test! However, if forced to indicate the best SQ I would say Naim app but this may even be psychological because to me it is the simplest solution with the shortest signal path (SSD).

My Roon trial has been successful for me because I have not found any reason to dismiss it. I will therefore be taking out a one year subscription purely based on the fact that for the equivalent of Ā£10 per month I will have two methods of playback. After a year I will purely re-assess and extend again or not.

Using a laptop as a core will be good enough for now but I will look into the possibility of a NUC, @CrystalGipsyā€™s tranquilpc looks great for putting in the hall cupboard with my router and connecting both via Ethernet cable.

3 Likes

My Roon trial ends today and I am not too sure if I will renew immediately. My Quobuz trial has ended now - Roon was great with Quobuz, Tidal and SSD but without Quobuz I have the same functionality on the Naim app.

I would highly recommend Roon just to have an alternative method of playback plus first unfold of Tidal Masters. Both Roon and Naim app have great features, I would be happy with either but the Naim app is free :grinning:

1 Like

How did you find the Tidal sound quality on the NDX2/SN2 on Roon versus the Naim App? I havenā€™t trailed mine yet.

1 Like

But the Roon app and the Naim app are quite different and even compliment each other if you want.
Sure both apps can cue a track to play, but for me that is only part of what they do, especially Roonā€¦ but yes the Naim app is stripped down, and has minimal to no relational context to the media in terms of indexing, where as with Roon, in a way that is a big part of what it is about.
So obviously itā€™s about how you like to access your music for playout. For example choosing Beethovenā€™s 5th symphony, then querying all available sources, then grouping into date or recording, or composer, then conductor (as well as researching these attributes)ā€¦ and then choosing a master, and make it your go to version of that recording is what Roon doesā€¦ the Naim app simply doesnā€™t does not do thisā€¦ itā€™s not what itā€™s aboutā€¦ it relies on the structure of the UPnP media server database or Tidal database, rather than create and use its own source independent overlayā€¦

4 Likes

Indeed @Simon-in-Suffolk, everything you describe about Roon is exactly what I enjoy about it. The wealth of information including lyrics takes me back to the old LP days (still relevant for many today but not me) where I would sit and read all available information on the outer and inner sleeves while listening. The same was true to a lesser extent for the CD booklet.

I use the Naim app for convenience to save me from having to go upstairs and turn the laptop (core) on. However it is great to bring the laptop down and ā€˜studyā€™ information as I listen.

I know that I will take out a subscription for Roon in the near future but not just yet - having tried Roon, there is sort of no going back!

1 Like

Hi @Mike_S, no difference when playing non-MQA tracks and sometimes a very slight Difference when the Roon plays MQA. The difference is that the Roon sounds a little bit more detailed at times.

However please remember that the brain is capable of detecting differences when told that there is a difference for example listening to the non-MQA on the Naim app and then consciously swapping to Roon MQA.

It is impossible for me to know how others hear music but I would stick my neck out and guess that the majority of Naim listeners (not just those that post on these forums) would be like me in so much as if you sat me down in front of my own system without me knowing what was being streamed, I would not be able to tell.

Your kit is similar to mine and I imagine that you would not notice a real difference in absolute blind tests.

Beware of trialling Roon. The Naim app is more than capable and you will not get a SQ improvement with Roon - there, that was controversial wasnā€™t it ! :grimacing:

However, in the post after yours Simon explains far more eloquently than I ever could, the benefits of using the Roon interface.

Good luck with the trial and please keep us informed of your findings!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.