Roon - do you use it? (Poll)

Sound

I was somewhat surprised by the level of information they requested when I had the problem eg switch model and and…. I concluded I was entering a technical IT world which I didn’t want. Just wanted something which worked and which when I had a problem my dealer could sort when I couldn’t.

You have too many black boxes… :wink:

Very few people can diagnose IT issues by reading your mind… :wink:

It really does help if people are up front about how their home network is architected.

So were Audirvana. That didn’t work out so well did it. My lifetime license there went up in smoke when they brought out a new product. No more updates and then it developed a problem with some WIndows patches.

People are free to spend money how they wish. For me, subscription pricing is poor value and in some cases I feel is a total scam.

3 Likes

FWIW this poll came out of the discussion here:

The intention of the poll was wrongly assumed on this thread.

It was in no way intended as a Roon bad or good poll but to get a feel for how many forum members use it as primary mode of streaming. The feeling in the discussion was that more people use Roon over the Naim app than was in fact the case. So it was simply to put things into perspective.

As you say, the benefits of Roon is up to the individual user to decide.

3 Likes

Indeed

2 Likes

Yes get your point but the context is relevant So Roon worked fine with iPad. But when on my iphone and my wife’s iPhone a search on Qobuz caused the app to close after entering the third or fourth letter. The Roon response was it works on our iPhone and no further it could be this or that. I took the view that if that was the level the help desk worked at and if the software was that sensitive then it was not for me as I have better things to do with my time than solve software issues like this. When you pay a lot I (and suspect many others) expect better than this.

Roon’s not perfect, and neither is the help offered by the community but - as with most things - you pick the compromise that works best for you.

As I’m sure you’ve found, paying a lot doesn’t guarantee perfection. It just buys you a different compromise.

… but it would have limited your exposure to Audirvana.

Yes, but I was in my trial period and I would have expected a response strong enough to convince me to sign up. I guess it was a case of they don’t care now when will they care? I like to deal with companies who ‘get’ service and very really compromise on that.

I have had some decent interactions with Roon tech support. I can’t say that they have been bad. Not great but was certainly above average.

The other day I had a question to Tidal support and THAT was terrible. I had a weird password issue where I could not use my password to login anymore but all my logged in devices stayed logged in and I could access my account still via these logged in pages.

Their response was so generic. Basically what version is everything of Tidal you have and have you uninstalled and reinstalled everything.

Ignoring that I guessed that maybe a password reset would help and magically it did. Saved me about a half a day of trouble they would have caused me.

Compared to them the Roon support is top notch.

1 Like

I have to say @Simon-in-Suffolk, that it was the Naim app that got me into Roon. Naim app is indeed good at what it does, but Roon is incomparable. It’s more accurate to refer to Roon as a system, rather than a simple playback app like the one Naim offers - albeit a good one. You can’t really compare the two really. The thread name ‘Out with Roon, in with the Naim app’ indicates - at least to me it does - that there is a lot of misunderstanding about the Roon System. I wonder if it’s time for someone to start a Roon appreciation thread? Or is that not appropriate @Richard.Dane?

1 Like

Seems to me that this thread is as good a place as any to post any appreciation you may have for Roon.

Thanks @Richard.Dane. Was just cautious after my last brief non-compliance of forum rules :crazy_face:

Just stay within the rules and you should be fine.

I started this thread for the simple declared poll purpose, which has now reached a result that is probably pretty indicative, at 45% of responses using Roon. That is a minority. but a sizeable one.

Discussions of why people made their choices, including pros and cons of Roon and alternatives, seem entirely appropriate, and indeed nay be of interest or help to others looking at options

1 Like

Hi I tend to agree with your observations… on an appreciation thread … I guess they already exist on social media forums elsewhere other than what we have here :grinning:

2 Likes

As Brenda from Bristol might have said: “You’re joking – not another one!” (With apologies to non-UK forumites.)

Roger

1 Like

Maybe start “ Naim app, anyone use it ( poll) ? thread. :joy:

1 Like