Roon - do you use it? (Poll)

As I no longer have Naim kit, other than a Muso Qb, I don’t have the luxury of the Naim app but when I did have Naim kit I still used Roon. No opinion on whether one sounded better than the other, and even if there was or could be a difference, but that may only be a temporary thing until the next update.
The UI and integration won me over immediately.

But what it will actually do is find the proportion of forum members who notice, look at the thread and choose to vote stream using Roon. These may or, perhaps more likely, may not be the same thing.

Roger

I’m thinking of setting up a poll to see if people like responding to polls…

6 Likes

The poll didn’t moved since this morning. Still 53% and 47%.

1 Like

167 voters as it is at this moment, 24 hours after opening the poll, is quite a high number of people fro a poll in this forum, compared to polls I’ve seen in the past - and the split is still 47% (of poll respondees) using Roon as their primary streaming software vs 53% not may be about the final figure.

Final poll will almost certainly be 48:52, and whichever side is the 52 will claim that this conclusively proves their approach is best and the 48 need to switch to the other side :wink:

5 Likes

I’m a Roon convert (just paid for the lifetime subscription). Mainly because I get to see one library across multiple sources (Asset and Qobuz for me). But other things I particularly like are it’s easy to see different versions of an album that are available, plus song lyrics.

2 Likes

I take it if roon go bust then all the life subscription money they have taken is lost and the user if left out off pocket and nothing to show for it. Well even worse if you have spent out thousands on the roon nuk.
As you never know these days, especially with the way of the world right now.

1 Like

Roon have stated that in those circumstances they would make a final release breaking the online dependencies so that the software would continue to function, albeit with reduced functionality.

In any case, it’s hardly a unique scenario - there are many services that will not be delivered if the company goes bust!

If you are that bothered, go monthly. Roon would much prefer that anyway…

2 Likes

That’s why it’s offered, it’s a punt, if you’re not happy with the risk you can pay yearly or monthly.

Roon is free for me now as I went lifetime in 2016 when Roon was nothing as omnipresent as it is now.

.sjb

3 Likes

I think the Roon/non Roon user debate has long since been exhausted…until it gets updated next of course :wink:

Really don’t want to state the bleedin obvious, but like most things in life, it really is the user who decides if it’s better or not, and thankfully we are all so very different.

I think the poll will be conclusively irrelevant but mildly interesting nonetheless.

4 Likes

They will just add a new product the lifetime does not cover. Possibly give a few years free for that lifetime.

I think they will do, or buy, their own streaming service. Have the latest owner of Tidal made any move yet? Tidal could be cheap.

They’ve been pretty explicit that this won’t happen…

… and you should buy stuff for what it does now, not for what it might do.

$830 as from 1st January, this is certainly getting expensive to join for what it is. A very big punt especially if as i say it goes pete tong.
As if it did go pete tong know ones knows what if anything would be left.
As said it’s not for me on quality alone, but can also see why some use it and like it.
I guess once manufacturers add better apps to their own gear then the added features of roon will get less and less and this could well cause problems for roon as it looks like they rely on monthly and yearly subscriptions to pay the bills

Anyway enjoy it and keep on listening

Quality of what?

Tried it but couldn’t get it to work properly from the phone. Their support desk were hopeless - it works from ours! - I just don’t want the time input/frustration of trying to fix something without tip top support so ended trial. On we go…

A phone is too small really for Roon. I’m guessing it was an iPhone?

Yes. Software on the Mac but couldn’t get phone to work Qobuz if I remember correctly

1 Like

I knew it :smile:

Sound