Roon, NAC 272 and Muso Qb2

You should have the volume at fixed 100% on the bridge I believe which is likely why your experiencing sq issues. Or your getting attenuation before it reaches the preamp. @simon.pepper might be able to help you here and advise.

No you can’t use the bridge as a core in any way.

Have you checked that the spec of your NAS is OK to run Roon?

I notice the Sonore UPnP bridge has 4 USB ports, but no explanation of their purpose as far as I can see. Maybe you can use them for music storage?

It is small computer with sonores os on it so likely a biproduct of that what purpose they serve other than perhaps service I don’t know . He has asking if it could be used as a core which was what I was saying.

Hi,
Not sure of your configuration, but I have the Roon ‘Audio Source’ for the SonoreUPnP Bridge set at 100% and use the volume control on my amp to control output levels. Effectively I using my Streamer as a CD player with a fixed output.

In terms of inputs to the SonoreUPnP bridge, this is just the Ethernet connection carrying the stream from the Roon Core.
If you wish to mount external USB discs, then I would suggest building a ROCK server using a NUC.

In terms of the USB ports on the SGC SonoreUPnP Bridge device, I think they are there as they are using a RaspberryPi as the board to run the software. What options do you have the configuration page for this device. If all it can do is run the SonoreUPnP Bridge, then I doubt it has the drivers and sub-systems in the OS to support the USB ports, mounting drives etc. Just treat that device as an input enabler for your Naim streamer, providing Roon capability.

I was just mildly curious as to why the box had 4 USB ports on it. SGC make no reference to them on the product web page. If you want music storage of course you can attach it to your Roon Core device, so no need for that on the UPnP bridge box.

How would you rate the 3 of them in terms of effect on SQ?

Hi Jim,

Purely as a roon server they are very similar, i.e. when using separate roon endpoint(s) over ethernet in my case.

My setup is now:- ZenMiniIII(server)–>3 x roon endpoints(AllDigiOne Sig, with PSU; Atom; Qb2)…the DigioneSig feeds my HugoTT2 - currently directly into speakers [ATC SCM11] - I have got rid of lot of boxes and decluttered - this setup works well for mid-volume listening.

The ZenMini/AlloDigiOne/TT2 setup actually sounds really very good in UPNP server mode, using Moode and mconnectHD as a controller, compared with roon. The Atom and Qb2 sound just as good in roon as using Naim’s own multiroom - which suggests some end-points are better than others for roon-specific (RAAT) processing. So daytime listening is usually via roon, or Naim multiroom through my house, and evening listening via Moode/UPNP.

The Zen Mini (and the Intel NUC if running Linux or Win10, with say Asset) can run as a roon server or as a UPNP server. The Nucleus+ is overpriced - I got mine ex-demo from a friendly dealer, so I broke-even on the resell.

I did try the Nucleus+ as a combined end-point and server, but found I needed a USB signal enhancer/reclocker (in my case a Mutec 3+ USB) to clean the signal. So I sold both and released equity for the Zen, Allo and Atom (the Atom is in a second room).

I have also heard a Zenith III into a HugoTT2 as combined server and end-point into headphones (at the Bristol show) - and that was a good solution, although expensive.

If funds allow next year I will try the Meridian 210 (as per @MrUnderhill ) or the Stack Link as streamers - unless Naim release a dedicated streamer without DAC…in a compact atom-sized case.

1 Like

I mainly use MConnectHD to send Tidal files via upnp to my 272.

What does MoOde SW bring to the party?

Have you tried Ropieeee on your Allo Digi One to run Roon? Its the simplest Roon implemention on pi. You can have the basic version which is Roon only or Ropieeexl which also adds upnp, airplay and Squeezebox support. You can then directly have and compare both on the same hardware.

+1 for Ropieee XL – it works without flaws, and does all one needs. Great piece of software!

Yes, I started with RopieeXL but then tried MoOde on a whim, and I added roon to it using guidance from a post on the MoOde forum. I have both OS on separate SD cards, so I can easily swap with a reboot of the Pi, but I have decided to stop changing my system and just play music :grinning:

MoOde is a operating system, optimised for audio, for the RasperryPi (with and without a HAT). Each OS such as Ropiee, Raspbian, MoOde, has it’s fans…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.