Roon Nucleus with a Hugo TT 2

Thanks BF.

Yes, Dave is immensely satisfying, giving no desire for anything more (of course combined with the rest of system). But I do desire to move away from Audirvana to an interface that better suits my stored music, and is easier for my wife to use, So at some point I will change at least the software, unless Audirvana add the feature I want.

However, if if I do delay retiring by another year there potentially may be the opportunity to either get something like an Innuos Zenith or Melco, feeding Dave direct, or DCS Bridge and anything as a store (Mac Mini possibly for a good few years yet), or MScaler with different library software and renderer on the Mac Mini (or possibly your solution with oR). Whatever, it then has to last effectively forever!

Whilst on their website today, looking at the DAC, I did have a nose at the Bridge, but thought the price was too good to be true.

It’s well worth a try - you’ve got a lot of DACs / Network players in your price range so you should have some interesting demos to do.

Signing off now for 2019 so i’ll wish you a Happy New Year and hope 2020 brings you good music !

Cheers

James

Have a good one James, and thank you.

Do you know how far back into their range Melco will extend Roon endpoint facility?
E.g. will it apply say to the NA1/2, and to the earlier Mk1 machines?

Yes, Lee at Strictly Stereo is an expert on streaming.

1 Like

I only know about the reconfiguration for my own N1ZH/2 in that it will have to go back to Melco UK, and that there will be a small charge for this.

Talk to a Melco dealer such as David at Audio Therapy (UK), who will advise you.

1 Like

I wonder if it possible for Naim to update the Core to a Roon endpoint? I currently use Core/NDS/ Xpsdr into a Chord TT2. I use the TT2 as a Dac and preamp directly driving my speakers for now, but have a Belles amp set aside for me to be directly driven off the TT2 when I upgrade my speakers. The Core is a new product, and you would think Naim Is well aware of all the people bypassing it for Innous or Melco, mainly for Roon and streaming services. I did try feeding my TT2 directly from the Core (BNC out), but I felt it sounded better (UPNP) through the NDS, maybe the NDS is acting as a bridge that everyone keeps talking about, not sure though.

Hi James…Just spent about 40 mins speaking to Lee. What he doesn’t know about streaming isn’t worth mentioning. Very, very knowledgeable and sounds a good guy. :+1:

For my budget he suggested Matrix audio, Element X. and although I wouldn’t use the ripper side of things, he recommended the Zen/Zenith.

1 Like

That’s good - i’ll be interested in your findings when you decide on what to audition.

James

1 Like

For my existing Roon Nucleus+ I took delivery of a “Zero-Zone” 19v 4amp linear power supply yesterday morning, all the way from Malaysia, purchased via that global auction site.

I plugged it in immediately, and it has been powering the Nucleus+ for 36 hours now - today it has really ‘opened out’. It has given a major uplift to the sound quality, noise floor and sound stage, a really worthwhile upgrade for less than £200 shipped and duty paid. So far I have used roon with internet radio (FLAC from RP’s channels and JBRadio2), Qobuz and local music files from my Melco, I.e. a typical use case.

I am still taking the Ethernet feed via the Melco into the Nucleus+, then USB from the Nucleus+ into the Mutec3+USB and then BNC to my HugoTT2.

The Nucleus is still both a roon Core and an endpoint in my main system (pending the Melco migration to EX and subsequently roon Endpoint, as per other threads).

Elsewhere in the house I have other roon endpoints running successfully - a Chromecast Audio (CCA) into another DAC/pre, a Muso Qb2, and a Squeezebox Radio.

3 Likes

to my ears, the Mscaler adds a lot to what Dave already does so well.

to the OP

As for the chord qutest not sounding too different to the bluesound, well it isn’t about frequency range, it is about the timing (transients on leading edges of the notes), tempo, grip, fluidity and freedom from HF grain that chord dacs do so well.

Have a longer listen and it becomes quite apparent.

One of the forum members is using a Chord Hugo 1 with a 552/250 setup.

1 Like

Late to this party, but my system has been evolving over the past several months.

I began this journey with a Chord Hugo1 acting as a DAC for my NDX >282>HC>250>KudosC20’s

I made the move to an NDX2 in the same configuration and noticed immediate positive results. Still found things a bit “sharp”.

Then I introduced an Innuos Zenith Mk3 for the convince of ripping and using Roon, as well as accessing my NAS stored library. This added little to SQ improvement, but made the interface and musical logistics a dream.

Played with a Qutest for a while, as my Chord Hugo1’s batteries became an ongoing issue. Found some improvement in detail - still some harshness.

Demo’d an Mscaler and HugoTT2 and fell in love. Cleaned everything up and brought more to the party so to speak.

Found that resources were being wasted in respect to my NDX2 (using only as transport). Subbed in the Innuos in its place and it didn’t miss a beat. NDX2 is gone, and funds will support a move to a pair of Kudos 505’s.

I guess what I am getting at is the HugoTT2 paired with an Mscaler brought a world of difference into my system (source 1st believer now). The Innuos is an excellent server and streamer - allowing seamless ROON interface. I could have stopped there - but with my recovered funds from the NDX2 hoping an opportunity will come my way for a good deal on a pair of 505’s.

4 Likes

I just added a Raspberry Pi4 4gB into the chain from my roon Nucleus+(with LPSU) --> [Rpi4] --> Mutec 3+ USB --> Hugo TT2. I didn’t add a ‘Hat’ such as Allo Digione since I just wanted to trial separating out the end-point from the Nucleus+, and familiarise myself with this cost-optimal way of adding a roon end-point.
Running Ropieee XL for the roon Bridge on the RPi4. A simple install with the Etcha software to create the boot microSD card. Followed the configuration guide on the Ropieee site.
Standard RPi4 4gb, standard Power supply, and a neat FLIRC case. Total cost including SD card = £88.22
Works fine via Wi-Fi, but wired to Ethernet in via my Cisco2960, and settling in for a few hours, it is playing well and the SQ is excellent value-for-money for daytime listening as part of a multi-room setup via roon. Better than the Chromecast Audio (CCA, £30) for those purposes; for the evenings’ more dedicated listening I switch back to the Melco (which doesn’t yet support roon…still waiting…).

I listened to the Zenith III (with / without Phoenix) into TT2 then Mr Speakers Aeon headphones at Bristol. Very impressed. The Zenith III would be an excellent way of consolidating my boxes in the main system, and I would then move the RPi4 elsewhere with another DAC/Amp. The RPi4 @£88 reduces the urge to splurge on a Chord 2go/2yu @ £1,400+.

The Muso Qb2 (part of my roon-orientated multiroom architecture) has become unusable due to worsening wifi connectivity issues- I will move it to an ethernet connection [not where I bought it for], I am even tempted to switch onto Powerlines Aaargh!) in the daytime; I also tried a Vonets wifi to ethernet bridge as a way of connecting in the Qb2 just 2 metres from the router, and that couldn’t connect to my wifi either. I suspect something, such as neighbours’ wifi interference, is causing this. I have a new router and ISP next week to try.

1 Like

It seems to me that you are mixing up too many things. First, choose a DAC that is adequate for your amplification. This might require some time and home demos. Once the DAC is in place, take care of its front end, if needed. Many modern DACs have (wired, wireless) ethernet and USB inputs beside SPDIF. Some can act as Roon endpoints. Other DACs only have SPDIF inputs. What is your budget? Are you looking for a single box solution or is it acceptable for you to have a the Roon endpoint in a separated front-end? You mention that you prefer a non-Naim network player: what is that you do not like in ND5XS2, NDX2 and ND555? Is a good headphones output important to you? Have you checked the dCS Bartók?

1 Like

If you replace the RPi4 with an Allo USBridge Signature running Roopie, you get a much better USB stream at a very moderate cost. Your TT2 will appreciate it, I guess.

1 Like

Yes, I am already thinking of an Allo Signature, and I am pricing one up. The second power supply requirement is untidy (I don’t want to faff around with batteries). I can’t decide yet on the USBridge or DigiOne(SPDIF), probably the latter as I have spare BNC & Toslink inputs on the Mutec+.

But if you already have a Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock USB, you do not need any DigiOne Signature or USBridge Signature, do you?

1 Like

That is concerning. I bought the Qb2 mainly for my outside terrace and have been getting poor wifi connectivity results even though I have a repeater nearby. I ended up running an Ethernet cable which kinda defeats the purpose. Disappointing.

If you look at other recent forum posts you will see that Naim ( @Stevesky ) are taking this issue seriously, which occurs with some (not all) combinations of user wifi environments / Muso 2.
I have had two Qb2s (one returned) with wifi setup/connectivity issues. I will see how the Qb2 does with my new router ( PlusNet ) next week before joining in further.
My previous Qb1 was stable in the same location.

1 Like