Roon on NDS q again

There is guidance on changing permissions on RPi thread.
I had a similar problem …
I can’t track my record of how I did it, but I’ll keep searching.
Sounds like you are making good progress. Don’t loose patience!
I hope Martin at Audiostore was helpful.

1 Like

Well I won’t give up but it’s difficult when it feels like I have no clue what different commands do because I have no clue.

Who is Martin?

One thing I really don’t get is how to get to Bin in terminal. For me it feels like terminal is terminal. There is no changing directory or folder that I can find. Does anyone know how to?

There is a very similar thread on the go with someone else trying to do the same thing.
https://community.naimaudio.com/t/sq-roon-vs-audiophile-nas-melco-innuous/9005/46
Looks like a race to see who gets to the finish line first

Nah, It’s time for bed. Anyways it looks like this now. Error, Error, Error

If you have a separate computer or NAS to the one you are running Roon on the easiest way to get lms-to-upnp running is within Logitech Media Server. (LMS). Note you MUST run this on a separate computer to Roon otherwise it just won’t work. Whilst Logitech Media Server isn’t required to use the lms-to-upnp application it’s just easier if you are not confident messing around with command lines, permissions, startup scripts etc.

I run mine this way in a container on my QNAP, although on some NAS devices there is a download available to install it direct. It’s also supported on many platforms including Windows and Mac.

Once installed you enable the plugin in the web based GUI. All other plugins can be disabled/removed as all you need is the the core LMS and plugin running.

It’s still necessary to edit the configuration file to change the <roon_mode>0</roon_mode>

line to

<roon_mode>1</roon_mode>

The other thing I found was I needed to do was to add an entry in the Extra Command Line Options to tell LMS the address of the Roon server (mine is 192.168.2.51).

I posted instructions on doing this on a QNAP previously. Most of this applies to any platform if you ignore the QNAP specifics.

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/roonifying-my-systems/6909/17

Thank you @trickydickie. I´d have to get a NAS in order to do that, something I am thinking about doing since it would open up for downloading highres. It would be fun to make it work as is though. Not least to try out Roon and sq on Tidal through this option.

Do you have a spare, separate computer just to do a proof of concept test? Any Windows or Mac computer will do.

Well I have my work laptop. I could try that but then if it works an investment in an extra computer would be the next step why a Sonore UPnP Bridge then again looks like a good proposition.

And off course I lack the privileges to install lms :weary:

Oh dear, that fell flat then!

My idea was that you could temporarily use a second computer to prove that it works and you actually like Roon. It saves buying say a bridge at this point.

1 Like

Yes I figured as much and thought it a good tip and your entry about how-to was excellent. Thank you.

Now all I need is an OS X expert to help me figure out what is going wrong in my attempts to get it working as a plug in on my Macbook.

1 Like

Now I’ve researched this on the internet quite some time but find no solution. It’s still the same "error reading socket. closed. I tried giving terminal full access via security settings but the results were the same. I’m stuck. Maybe @Jack or @Weta has some thoughts on this

Martin is the chap at the Audiostore.
The useful thing about RPi and OSX is that there operating systems are similar; if I recall they are derived from Unix.

I’ve now found my notes, culled from different threads on this forum that will lead you through the process. There is a section on changing file preferences. Also, there is a trick in OSX for telling the computer that you have control - you will need to google it (it’s a command line for terminal that sets the preferences).

Keeping your Raspberry Pi up-to-date

Before installing anything it’s always good practise to make sure the Raspberry Pi software itself (collectively known as Raspbian) is absolutely up-to-date. Often when you get a problem, it can be due to bugs in old versions of software that have long since been fixed. We’ll often ask you to update Raspbian as a first point of call when helping you solve a problem, but this guide will teach you how to stay one step ahead!

To update your Pi, just follow the steps below:

Step 1: Verify connectivity

First, make sure a Network Cable is plugged in and the Pi has an internet connection. You can verify this by browsing to Google.com (or anywhere really) in the browser.

Step 2: Get to a Terminal

If you have just turned on the Raspberry Pi and you are looking at a black screen with white text, you’re at the Terminal and can continue.

If you are looking at a desktop, you need to locate LXTerminal, the mostly-black icon that looks like a monitor, and double-click it. A new window should pop up (it may take a moment) and this is the Terminal.

Step 3: Perform the update (the easy way)

Type the following command to run our updater from get.pimoroni.com:

curl https://get.pimoroni.com/uptodate | bash

This will prompt you if you need to reboot, make sure your work is saved and answer Y for yes!

Step 3: Perform the update (the hard way + explanation)

Type the following commands, one after the other, waiting for them to complete at each step:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo reboot

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Warning: This article previously recommended installing and running “rpi-update.” Don’t do this unless you absolutely have to. rpi-update will install potentially broken, unstable or experimental firmware onto your Raspberry Pi and could have unexpected or undesirable results.

These commands will update everything and then restart the Raspberry Pi.

The first command, sudo apt-get update, will update all the package indexes. This command doesn’t actually update any software on your Pi, but updates what the latest software is and where to download it from. “update” usually takes a minute or two while it downloads the latest package lists.

The next command, sudo apt-get upgrade, actually performs upgrades of software on your Raspberry Pi. It will generally tell you how much it needs to download and how much extra space is required before asking you if you want to continue. It can also take several minutes, or sometimes longer depending on how long ago you last upgraded and how fast your internet connection is.

Occasionally the packaged “raspberrypi-bootloader” will be updated. This will include a new “firmware” update for your Raspberry Pi which replaces the kernel with a new, stable release. You can obtain cutting-edge releases of the kernel and firmware with “rpi-update,” but we absolutely recommend avoiding this command unless you’re entirely sure of the potential consequences (rendering your Pi a broken, unbootable and difficult to fix mess) if there’s a problem with the firmware.

The “sudo reboot” command reboots your Pi so it can start up with the shiny new firmware (if it has been updated), you can wait until you next turn off your Pi naturally but you need to reboot before everything will be properly up to date.

Sudo apt clean

This discards unneeded files then reboot.

Updating LMS2UPnP

Login into RPi (assumes a base build of RPi with “2019-09-26-raspbian-buster”)

Ssh pi@192.168.1.136

password

sudo mkdir UPnPBridge

cd UPnPBridge/

sudo wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/lms-plugins-philippe44/files/UPnPBridge-1.26.1.zip

Check the hash of the downloaded file…

openssl dgst -sha1 UPnPBridge-1.31.0.zip

should be (4230a24df62447a59c56236727b90fed680a7fde)

sudo unzip UPnPBridge-1.30.0.zip
sudo rm UPnPBridge-1.31.0.zip

cd /home/pi/UPnPBridge/Bin
sudo chmod 755 squeeze2upnp-armv6hf-static

I’m assuming this is the correct executable for the RPi4 processor

Launch the executable to create the initial config file…

./squeeze2upnp-armv6hf-static -i config.xml

Wait til it exits (maybe 30 seconds or so)

Launch it again without the “config.xml” parameter…

./squeeze2upnp-armv6hf-static

This should start the executable and you should now be able to configure Roon and get your devices working appropriately

If necessary edit the config.xml file (might be useful to see Weta’s post in Feb 19 on the subject also)

Just note for the RPi platform you need to use the squeeze2upnp-armv6hf version.
Config.xml changes are:

<roon_mode>1</roon_mode>
<sample_rate>192000</sample_rate>ssh pi@

Can’t determine the permissions and ownership unfortunately from that screen shot. If you log into the RPi (via SSH) then at the command line enter…

cd /home/pi/UPnPBridge/Bin

then…

ls -al

Purely from a permissions basis I can’t see anything that jumps out,however, root ownership may well have something to do with this issue. You can change ownership of directories and files via the “chown” command although I’ve no great experience of it, however, you could try the following…

go into the directory above UPnPBridge (i.e. the one of your second screenshot) and enter…

sudo chown pi UPnPBridge

then…

sudo chown :pi UPnPBridge

After you have done this ownership should have changed…if it has check in the Bin directory and see if that ownership has changed also. If not go into the UPnPBridge directory and repeat the above commands but replace “UPnPBridge” with “Bin”

If all the ownership then says pi you can try the bridge software again.

Re the session, you need to run the Bridge either as a service or establish it from crontab on reboot, which means the application is not tied to that session and is running in the background.

Reboot /home/pi/UPnPBridge/Bin/squeeze2upnp-armv6hf -Z -x /home/pi/UPnPBridge/Bin/config.xml
BUT im running squeeze2upnp-armv6hf-static

UPnP2LMS update

Version 1.31.0

25th May 2020

Using squeeze2upnp-osx-multi on Mac Mini

N.B. Yet to update RPis.

1 Like

Wow, thank you for taking the time. Are you saying I can do those commandos in OS X even though they are refering to a rasberry pi?

I’m guessing I can’t and shouldn’t write any commands refering to pi though? Like the pi-update-commands or the other lines with ”pi” in them

Hi @Lucifer,
Sorry I’m not a Mac guy, however here are my thoughts.

1. if macs have “sudo” try running the commands with that in front.
  2. you wouldn’t normally execute the executable while you are in the bin folder, you’d be 1 directory above so the command may look similar to “sudo ./bin/squeeze2upnp-osxmulti-static -i config.xml”
  3. download an older version, maybe 4 versions back and try that.
  4. Is there a firewall installed on the mac if so disable it.

Let me know how you get on.

I tried with sudo results were the same. Then I thought about adding the previously missing -iconfig.xlm and now it looks like this

Then tried to run the
sudo /Users/jespernaslund/Downloads/UPnPBridge/Bin/squeeze2upnp-osx-multi-static

with the same errors as before.

There needs to be a space between the -i and the config.xml

After 30 seconds it should automatically exit.
The “-i” means create a config.xml, if that file exists in your home directory, open it and look for your NDS

1 Like

I’ll try that after training

Apologies for the delayed response.
I adapted the RPi instructions for the Mac.
I’m still looking for guidance for turning off permissions … I’m sure I wrote it down somewhere.