Roon on NDS q again

That’s good news

One other thing to check.

In Roon under device setup for the NDS make sure that use FLAC compression is set to off. This will ensure that you send PCM, not FLAC to the streamer.

1 Like

When I do that I get a pulsating while noice mixed in with the music.

Seems to be a network issue. Changed from my 5Ghz to whatever the other is and this worked better.

On the NDS streaming info it says ”2304K ???” Which i guess might mean that the NDS recognizes the stream bandwidth but can´t output which file kind it is?

I get this on my Raspberry Pi but only when playing 24/192 files. Running on my QNAP is fine.

I experienced this when I was experimenting initially, I think it’s a throughput issue but haven’t got to the bottom of it yet.

1 Like

I’ve identified an issue with 1.4.X versions of lms-to-upnp which introduces this issue. It mainly affects the playback of studio masters, especially 24/192 files.

Version 1.31.0 doesn’t do this.

I presumed that it was the Raspberry Pi not having enough throughput but updated the plugin on my QNAP and it was doing the same. Rolled back to 1.31.0 and the problem goes away.

Therefore I’d recommend downloading version 1.31.0 rather than 1.4

2 Likes

This is the Changelog

I wonder what in the 1.40.x changes affected this?

I’m still at 1.27.0

This is also interesting. I have my MacBook logged in to my Apple account. That way I can receive messages and phone calls on the MacBook. I´ve noticed that the music stops when I get a phonecall through the MacBook and that it starts when I either hang up or start using my phone instead of the Mac. When I got a call this morning the music started playing where I stopped it last night, weird.

I don´t know for sure but it seems Roon is sending a High bandwidth stream when using lms-to-upnp 1.40.0 when the source is Tidal masters. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn´t. When it works it say somewhere around ”2000K ???”. When it doesn´t work it Ads pinknoice to the music, so you hear the music inbedded in pink noice. It´s a theory at least. Why this happens, I don´t know.

In Device settings I have no mqa support and don´t etable mqa core decoder

Try version 1.31.0 of lms-to-upnp.

I posted earlier that I have had problems with 1.4 and pink noise. This is on both my QNAP and also a Raspberry Pi. Going back to 1.31.0 resolves the issue.

The config.txt file can be reused so it’s easy to do!

2 Likes

So, to be sure. I just put the 1.40 folder in the trashcan. Download 1.31 and Run the command for OS X without -i config.xml and am good to go?

You will need to preserve your existing config.xml file first.

I wold probably rename the existing folder and install 1.3 into a new one of the same name as old.

it is shocking that Roon which is a 700 dollar software doesn’t have the capability to send to UPNP devices.

something that bubble Upnp (few dollars), Mconnect player (6 dollars) and Audirvana/Jriver can do easily…

2 Likes

I’m not sure that it’s shocking really. Roon set out to create something that improves on UPNP. They’ve made it very clear on their website the limitations that they see with UPNP and supporting UPNP is a red line that they are not prepared to cross.

Roon have set out to encourage manufacturers to support Roon as Roon Ready/certified devices, then there is no need for UPNP. This seems to becoming successful as many manufacturers now support Roon in this way, Naim included.

Products like BubbleUPNP and MConnect were designed to allow services to work with UPNP devices so of course they support UPNP, if they didn’t these products wouldn’t exist. Comparing a $700 software package with other different packages doesn’t really cut much mustard. It’s a bit like saying that it’s shocking that a £150k Naim Statement amplifier doesn’t have tone controls or a graphic equaliser whereas £200 ones do. Naim made a deliberate decision to design their amp in a specific way, Roon have done the same.

What would be nice is for Roon to acknowledge that there is a market for people to use UPNP and incorporate the bridge as a plug-in within their product. Commercially this would make sense and would probably gain customers. The problem is that UPNP is a fickle beast and some units wouldn’t work properly and this would compromise the integrity of Roon and backtrack on what they set out to achieve with their own replacement - RAAT.

I’d rather not be mucking about with a workaround to bridge to Roon but the NDS is too good to just abandon, and will be for many years to come.

2 Likes

Thank you I’ll try that.

Now I’ve tried it. It worked for a few seconds but then went back to the white noice, rather annoying pulsating. Anyway here is what the terminal is saying.

well… No…

Roon for that kind of money needs to provide “at owners risk” the option to stream to UPNP devices

Since roon has already crossed that red line through streaming to Logitech squeezeboxes and Google Chromecast audio boxes.

I’m not sure how RAAT works with these devices (and don’t really want to find out either) - but if it can be made to work with a CCA or SB, why not an older UPNP.

One thing I do agree - if I had a NDS, I would either find a google Chromecast audio to make it work with roon, just try one of the alternative solutions such as a raspberry pi with an optical / Coax out capable of being a roon endpoint running a solution such as Dietpi/RopiEEE

It is actually quite affordable…

As for UPNP, that is roons view, I don’t share it, and UPNP works just fine on the many devices I have already tried.

1 Like

I think we kind of agree, the at owners risk option was what I was mooting with incorporating it as a plugin within the product.

As to the other alternatives, Chromecast etc. they sound dreadful and have no place with a streamer the quality of the NDS.

The bridge options make Roon viable with no loss of quality so it fills the gap nicely.

1 Like

I can’t hear my various CCA sound dreadful - sure it doesn’t sound as good as a dedicated audio streamer, but look at the asking price.

anyway unless for a very hi-end DAC like NDS or my Chord Dave, I use my CCA with my Chord Mojo and it sounds quite engaging to me… for the money. The Chord DACs handle jitter very well so all they need is a bit perfect stream - not sure just how much loss occurs from the optical in/out and the cable.

also “other alternative” like allo digione, well no this is quite a good product, and I am quite happy with this as a front end to my Chord Dave (for now), when obviously it is the right time I might compare this to hi-end products like NDX2 - but for now I am ok with the performance - the key issue was having a Linear power supply for it and that is now available.

still can’t get myself to spend out 700 dollars for Roon just to play Tidal streams…some of my friends think it is a very good product, but it does need further hardware investments like a roon server and this just for Tidal it seems like a load of money.

I would rather much buy a uniticore for my collection and an ND5XS2 for streaming and use the Naim app, or bubble UPNP which is surprisingly very good.

the Logitech Media server is also really good and has the major advantages of being free.

2 Likes

Anyway was reading up on RAAT vs UPNP and it is good for them to say that RAAT doesn’t provide much advantage over UPNP in terms of sound quality

As for the other points they raise, well yes I agree - and for that reason in terms of stability and multi room usage, well yes I might be willing to pay 700 dollars for Roon, but unfortunately it’s also the hardware investment, and well bubble UPNP does the job for now… for me…

there is no roon for LP12 owners but it doesn’t stop them from enjoying their LP12 :wink:

1 Like

Totally messed it up of course

Now I get… no sound what so ever

And because of a hunch I added the .xml to the config file that was created. Now I get sound but with “static” in the background. Oh dear!

Everything continues to go bad

Can anyone read out anything from these images, please?

This is so weird. Now all of a sudden it’s working again. Even playing the high res. I guess I will find out soon enough if it lasts.

A few songs later the same white noice is back on the High res sampler from hdtracks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.