Roon price hike

Today Roon have increased the lifetime
subscription to $699, yearly
subscription remains at $119.
So nearly 6 years to break even on lifetime subscription. A lot could happen with streaming development in this time. Is it still worth taking a punt on lifetime subscription or best to continue with yearly option?

Easy:
If you really, really like it, $700 worth of like, then buy the lifetime.
If you sort of like it, but are worried something else might come along better, or are torn between Roon and something else but just edging towards Roon, but at least $120 worth of edge, then take the annual subscription, and convert on the 5th year if still with them.
And if you like it but donā€™t think it is at least $120 worth of like in the short term or are equally torn between it and something costing a fraction of the amount, then drop it.

1 Like

Thats a massive rise. Just glad I went for the lifetime when I did. Maybe the price is indicative of something big coming along or most likely, to provide a regular income through annual subscription.

How quickly is the technology moving?

How long is Roon going to stay in business?

2 Likes

I guess I donā€™t understand the mind set. Folks here have Thousands of Dollars in black and shinny boxes, some have tens of thousands of dollars tied up, and they complain about a $200 increase in cost over 5 years. In the US, that will buy you a little over a dozen cups of coffees per year at Dunkin Donuts pricesā€“or about half that at Starbucks. Even at Cumberland Farms its only coffee for a month. It would not even take you and your better half out for dinner once a year for the $40 at a nice restaurant. Can anyone explain?

2 Likes

Simple: perceived value for money I guess. You can get a perfectly good bit of software to manage your library and play music for a lot less than Roon (albeit doing differently). And that price difference of $200 is still money, which has to be earned, and is $200 less to have for something else, whether that is a nice meal, or some music, or 200 cups of coffee in a country that makes good coffee like Italy or Spain, so of course people begrudge it - all the more so because a week ago or whatever it would have cost that much less, and a 40% price rise is pretty steep for anything.

2 Likes

I agree its a big rise, but then I bought my Naim Atom new 2 years ago its was Ā£1750 I now see it going for Ā£2250. I still pay yearly and never went for lifetime even though I am now approaching my 4th year. I will likely stay as I am.

1 Like

My thoughts as well. Iā€™ll probably go with yearly subscription as see how it pans out regarding other companies coming on board or major changes to the streaming platform over the next couple of years.

1 Like

This isnā€™t an option just so not as to confuse, Roon isnā€™t hire purchase, you either rent or buy.

For me, lifetime roon being the same cost as a HiLine, represents good value. Iā€™m in year 3 or 4 now so I think my decision has already been validated.

I expect Lifetime to disappear just before a fully mobile Roon experience is launched.

.sjb

1 Like

Oops, my mistake - and glaringly obvious too!

Well the software was upgraded this morning ā€¦ so it might be worth it.
Iā€™ve noticed much improvement, save for the internet radio; it might be a tad faster to load, and some options / recommendations have been developed.

Itā€™s definitely faster.

1 Like

Hey Baiyhill,
I saw that Roon has a MQA live radio. It may interests you.

Just read a very good post from the COO of Roon
On their forum about the annual price rise and the reasons behind it. Basically they want to get rid off annual sub as itā€™s not good for the business to keep growing and why they relied on it at the start to get a cash injection to build the business. Now they need to maintain and develop the business and a subscription model is the better way to achieve this. Many might not agree but I see validity in his points and itā€™s good to see such transparency when it comes to decisions like this from the executive branch.

2 Likes

Heres their reasonā€¦

2 Likes

I like the transparencyā€¦
We should more of it.

Thanks FR

I have noticed that Roon Radio for the past week or so has been doing a surprisingly good job at picking material to my likingā€“both classical and country and all MQA. Today I see a notice that they have verson 1.7 and ā€œValenceā€, which is supposed to upgrade the Radio Function, and they have been testing it out. I would say it really is an upgrade for me. Hope others find the same.

2 Likes

I am a bit more cynical. In the world of M&A not all revenue is equal. Valuations come down to multiples of revenue (or profit) and subscription revenue for a SAAS product (ie what roon is) achieves a much higher valuation multiple than revenue from perpetual license (what the lifetime subscription is) so I would say the COO is being translucent rather than transparent. Yes his reasons are correct but there is more to it and all his customers donā€™t really want to hear more about the company eventually getting sold ā€¦ maybe to spotify or tidal.

3 Likes

Roon said, ā€œWhat Roon needs now is a regular and dependable revenue stream for business sustainability and ongoing product development; we get that with annual subscriptions, not lifetimes.ā€

This totally makes sense. It works this way with gym memberships. A big problem with taking a ā€˜lifetime membershipā€™ up front is that the money is all spent up front; it is not spent over the lifetime. Monthly subscriptions are far more sustainable; the money can flow in much more predictably.

This said, Iā€™m glad I bought a lifetime sub. last year. Iā€™m still enjoying Roon and havenā€™t found anything with which to replace it. Not interested in going back to Naim App / Asset; I prefer Roon.

1 Like

As someone who took a yearly subscription 6 months ago to evaluate, and I do like the product, Iā€™m less than impressed with this.

2 Likes