Roon - renew or cancel?

This is what makes it a no brainer for me love Radio i have added so many good albums I had never heard and new and old artists.

1 Like

Not Apples first venture into that domain either. They did the same with Shake VFX compositing software.

1 Like

Realised or maybe missed it before, but the Android app is great flexibility, shame as IoS Roon offer no lock screen or control panel support, very irritating, moreso a quick Google has that feature request going back to 2017.

That said, Roon radio is a joy meaning I tend to just let it play and only interfere occasionally.

This happens indeed quite often and probably might happen to Roon as well.

I bought a lifetime license at 499$ which is ~4, 2 years of a monthly fee.
In 2021 I’ll start using Roon for “free”.

So was that lifetime license worth it?
Absolutely (for me).

2 Likes

Just needs to support external and internal DACs on Android and avoid resampling due to the OS and it’s then even better. They are looking into this as iOS supports external DACs already I can then use my DAP for it properly to. It’s my most wanted feature it can’t come to soon.

i fully agree with @Thomas sentiment – i paid for the lifetime subscription about 3 years ago. absolutely worth it.

1 Like

After not using Qobuz since the Roon trial I cancelled my Qobuz Studio (expires in 3 weeks) and even signed out from my streamer, server and Roon.

Will be signing up to a year of Roon.

Wouldn’t be fair to assume that the Naim application will eventually offer the same functionality that Roon does?

Software design, UI ergonomic is not easy to duplicate - simple example, MS Office, everyone can emulate it, but no one can do it better! Another example, anyone can make a car, but no one can make a Lamborghini.

1 Like

That probably depends on which bit of ‘functionality’. It seems to me that some control/library app providers follow a distinctive path, that may not be where others choose to go, or which may be mutually exclusive compared to other paths. That would appear to be the case with Roon - and of course may also account for the relatively strongly polarised views about it, what it does suiting some down to the ground, but disliked by those it doesn’t suit.

Naim need to start by making a proper iPad OS app. Right now it’s nothing more than just a big version of the iPhone app. Personally, I hate it, and have no desire to use my phone as a media remote control. I’ve said it before though.

Roon – on the other hand – really is a proper iPad OS app done really quite well. The usability is good enough that I bought an iPad Pro 11 just to use as a Roon controller. It turned out the iPad Pro 11 has also replaced my MacBook Pro for most things. I barely use the latter now other than for work.

I know there are fans of the Naim app, and it is better than what I have seen for other hifi brands, but I only use it to adjust settings on my NDX2.

2 Likes

Highly unlikely considering I can’t use search on my own music.

1 Like

The Naim app has improved greatly and Naim have clearly listened to customers.

That all said i only use the Naim app to come out of standby, then used to use iPeng Tidal and Qobuz for quite sometime now.

iPeng at £10 for the iOS app is functional but a dreadful app.

Roon for me makes all that software UI element near perfect, but at a cost.

Wonder if Naim could tot up £s spend on the Naim app, vs just talking Roon or something else off the shelf

I don’t think that would be possible, given the scale of the Roon development team vs what Naim can afford to devote to it. Don’t forget that it will be a moving target.

Yes, Naim is not the software house, to do the same as Roon requires much more investments.

1 Like

The last thing I would want is Naim to acquire something like Roon and try and fold it into their app. Each does its own thing, some like one over the other. Personally I hated the fact that Roon seems to prioritise its own algorithmic suggestions over access to my own content. I want far greater preference shown to the music I own or have previously accessed on Tidal instead of promulgated suggestions. The Naim app on an iPad gives me sufficient suggestions as it is.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t really care that the Naim apps are crappy. They do what I need for managing NDX2 settings and firmware upgrades. Roon does what I need for enjoying music on it.

5 Likes

I myself find some of the critical comments about Roon are a bit strange! Maybe due to some misunderstanding of what it does? or what it does not?

3 Likes

The Roon guys insist you do a yearly subscription. They prefer the cash flow over the one time deal.

One thing I love about Roon is that I can control it seamlessly from my iPad, Mac Pro desktop, MacBook Air or Android phone, depending on where I am in the house or what I’m doing (i.e. working on my laptop). And the NUC it runs on in is stuck away in a closet in the office.

1 Like