Roon sold to Harman. Implications?

The question is, does it need a hard drive installed just to run Room (with a seperate Uniti Core in my case)? I “think” the answer is no.

Also, would in send the audio signal through the Nucleus, or would it go from the Uniti Core streamer directly, like using the Naim app?

According to Roon’s website, the Nucleus One:

● Provides space for 2.5” internal SATA drives

● External USB storage, two USB-A

● Network storage (NAS)

If it’s like the Nucleus, then you can either fit an internal drive to store your local music, add an external USB drive or point it to a local networked music store, such as a NAS .

In your case, as long as you can see the internal music store externally on the Core across a network connection, you’d just be using the Core as a ripper and music store. All control would be via Roon and the Roon app.

2 Likes

Isn’t this just a NUC in a nicer case - I read it had a fan although it didn’t come on much. Good move though for Roon as costs are similar I guess to a NUC and looks more interesting, and you don’t have to DIY.

1 Like

One could get a pretty new mac mini without a fan (I hate fans) for the same money. Would this Nucleus One be a better choice and if so why?

1 Like

Can you get a Mac Mini without a fan (quiet as they are) ?

As I read the quick start guide everything is included to set it up as a server. But you can also add external hard-drive, USB etc if you need for local files.

Step 2:
Unbox your Nucleus One

In the box, you’ll find everything you need to get going with Nucleus One and Roon. Please take a moment to identify what’s included:

● Nucleus One
● Power supply
● AC power cord
● Ethernet cable

From Mac mini M1 processors and onwards there are no fans (released 2020 I believe). Dead quiet. Always. Same with Macbook Air.

When I had a chat with Small green computer on dedicated Roon server vs a mac I got this reply.

“Roon runs much faster on a dedicated box than it does on a general purpose computer with a desktop operating system. This improves the sound. It’s also easier to manage as you don’t need to worry about OSX upgrades.”

1 Like

Interesting - my Macbook Air doesn’t have a fan but the Mini still appears to have one - there is a vent on the rear.

This information is posted on the Roon
community:
It will have an m.2 SSD that holds the Roon OS and the Roon Server software. The (optional) 2.5" drive is purely for local music storage.

Hope this answers the original question.

3 Likes

Which year is your mac mini made?

EDIT. Indeed mac mini even with M1 processors and later has a fan. Very strange since Macbook air with the same doesn’t.

1 Like

I don’t have a new M1 / M2 mini, but a quick google at some tear downs shows an internal fan.

1 Like

You are correct. Even though mac mini have M1 or later they do have a fan. Strange when Macbook air doesn’t.

1 Like

Yes, it does thanks.

1 Like

I suspect the Macbook performance may be limited compared to the Mini for heat management it looks to have a bit more area available to spread and dissipate the internal heat without the need for forced cooling.

The website says local drives are not included. As a server it can access (your own) external drives (USB) or a NAS. For local storage you need to add drives. There is no mention I can see of the type/size of any internal storage provided.

From the Quick Start Manual:

Storage devices

If you have music on a USB hard drive, connect it to one of the USB ports on the Nucleus One.

If you store music files on a NAS (network attached storage) device, make sure it’s connected to your network and powered up.

1 Like

I’m still not clear on the audio path. I stopped using Roon as the audio path went through my iMac and using the Naim app and taking the audio path from the Core to the streamer sounded better (I assume the Mac was a noisy environment to divert the audio signal through). This new thing looks promising, if it is not affecting the audio signal, the Roon UI is certainly attractive.

I suppose your hearing a possible SQ difference between the UPnP implementation on the Naim network player (when using the Core in it’s usual UpnP server role) vs the network player running the Roon RAAT implementation. This has come up a few times and Steve Harris posted some useful info on it in the past. IIRC, he uses Roon.

Edit - see below -

3 Likes

I find the SQ of my Linn streamer has improved considerably with the Roon RAAT service, and this comparision is relative to the previous version where Roon used the Linn’s own protocol UDP-based Songcast.

4 Likes

Yep - same here. Very pleased now they’ve finally got the full Roon ready implementation sorted :+1:

4 Likes