Roon sold to Harman. Implications?

I suspect the Macbook performance may be limited compared to the Mini for heat management it looks to have a bit more area available to spread and dissipate the internal heat without the need for forced cooling.

The website says local drives are not included. As a server it can access (your own) external drives (USB) or a NAS. For local storage you need to add drives. There is no mention I can see of the type/size of any internal storage provided.

From the Quick Start Manual:

Storage devices

If you have music on a USB hard drive, connect it to one of the USB ports on the Nucleus One.

If you store music files on a NAS (network attached storage) device, make sure it’s connected to your network and powered up.

1 Like

I’m still not clear on the audio path. I stopped using Roon as the audio path went through my iMac and using the Naim app and taking the audio path from the Core to the streamer sounded better (I assume the Mac was a noisy environment to divert the audio signal through). This new thing looks promising, if it is not affecting the audio signal, the Roon UI is certainly attractive.

I suppose your hearing a possible SQ difference between the UPnP implementation on the Naim network player (when using the Core in it’s usual UpnP server role) vs the network player running the Roon RAAT implementation. This has come up a few times and Steve Harris posted some useful info on it in the past. IIRC, he uses Roon.

Edit - see below -

3 Likes

I find the SQ of my Linn streamer has improved considerably with the Roon RAAT service, and this comparision is relative to the previous version where Roon used the Linn’s own protocol UDP-based Songcast.

4 Likes

Yep - same here. Very pleased now they’ve finally got the full Roon ready implementation sorted :+1:

4 Likes