ROON users - Nucleus or Nucleus+ what are you using?

Curious as to which model people are using?

Best
Gregg

I’ve built a Intel Nuc - and no linear psu. Curious to hear if anyone did an A/B between that and the Nucleus.

1 Like

NUC running Windows 10. Wired ethernet to router. Wireless to ND5XS2.

I considered the Nucleus+, but the cost put me off, although I liked the look of it so I went for the Audiostore Prestige - I wanted to build a Nuc but balked at the last moment. I’m very happy with it, especially as it rips as well (faster than dbpoweramp on my ancient laptop).

Nucleus+

Just a plain Nucleus. I figured I wasn’t going to be running multiple zones with heavy DSP all at the same time so the Nucleus was fine. Fitted an internal SSD for music storage. No issues in the last 18 months of ownership. You can buy plenty of other solutions or DIY but I wanted something plug and play so went the Nucleus route.

3 Likes

Audiostore Prestige. This is also plug 'n play as it has roon server pre-installed.

Innuos Zen.

1 Like

DIY pc
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Machine: Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME B250M-K v: Rev X.0x serial:
UEFI: American Megatrends v: 0809 date: 07/07/2017
CPU: Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Pentium G4560 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Kaby Lake
240 gig m2 drive as primary
8 gig of memory
Plenty of additional storage for the music ie 3 tb WD red drive
This pc runs other software as well as roon switched on 24/7 and doesn’t appear to be stressed at all

1 Like

… or were you hoping for Nucleus-only replies?

1 Like

I purchased a ROON Nucleus in December 2018 and I fitted it with an internal SSD.

I have been very happy with it. I have had no issues with it whatsoever.

MacBook Pro works fine for me. CD rips sound essentially the same as they do from a UPnP server, and I already owned it. Works fine with 3 Roon ‘endpoints’. I sometimes think of using a standalone NUC or similar, but then I can’t use it away from home.

Quite honestly… Yes.

I am quite surprised to see how few are running Nucleus’s. I have been running Core on my iMac for the last 4 years and using it with my Linn KDS.
I now have a new dCS Rossini and have contemplated a fanless ROON only box. My choices are something from Cirrus (Germany) or PrimeComputer (Switzerland) however with the shipping costs etc. to the States both are quickly approaching Nucleus /N+ prices.

Best
Gregg

Ah. Sorry. Nucleus then. Unless you have a huge library or a penchant for heavy DSP…

Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 with 2 TB SSD installed. Plug and play, connected to ND5 XS2 via ethernet. Very pleased and very reasonable cost.

2 Likes

No DSP. The dCS can do upsampling and I have a feeling their implementation might be better than Roon’s :wink: so from that standpoint a Nucleus and not + would suffice.

My CD collection is 2500 CD’s - after 10 years still not all ripped. I do not know how many albums I have saved on TIDAL.

Nucleus/N+ provides guidelines on the number of tracks in a library. For a Nucleus it is 100,000 tracks or I would calculate approximately 10,000 albums.

I assume by number of tracks they are referring not only to the actual number of rips on ones hard drive but also the number of tracks in ones Tidal library?

I’m using a NUC8i3 with Roon ROCK. Works great.

So a brand new Room user here. So apologies as I’m only into day 4 of the trial.
I only have one end point, my ND5XS2 into the qutest.
Core running on my Synology 228+ NAS, with the database on external SSD. Only DSP I use is the upsampling thingy. Via the NAS, it shows a processing speed of about 10x.

11 year old MacMini which had been sat to one side doing nothing. Works well enough.

Wonder if an Intel NUC running ROCK would be worth while then realise it’s just consumerism and that most likely it would make little appreciable difference; so buy some CDs instead…

The only good reasons for a NUC might be power consumption and also stopping me running an obsolete OS from a security POV (although it isn’t used for anything else)

Just had my Audiostore Microserver upgraded to MicroRoon Plus standard and includes a SSD.

Not quite as fast as the Prestige servers but I have a small local library <1,000 albums.

Had it less than a week but so far I’ve been very pleased.

Dave

1 Like