Routers and Switches

Simon, can you say a little more about this?

But you would acknowledge presumably, a house hold fridge, lighting, tv, electric supply (if indeed this network interference can be heard) will have a far greater influence no?

It sounds like we are discussing a needle in a haystack of potential noise interference.

If it really does make a noise the obvious conclusion is to use wifi and make this area of the network the best that it can be.

I suspect this is ignored because there is nothing shiny to look at such as multi thousand pound last metre ethernet cables :slight_smile:

What is your opinion on putting a switch on some rubber feet to ā€˜improve sound?ā€™

The slightly condensing tone of ā€˜it system dependentā€™, i.e. ā€˜perhaps your system is not very good and resolving detailā€™ does not help the conversation

My only conclusion is that for those that genuinely hear a difference at this minute scale, probably donā€™t enjoy music much, the recordings must sound terrible, what with the noisy environments of those recording studios

1 Like

Well, thatā€™s the way you understand it, or wish to understand it.

What about a walk and some fresh air? :wink:

2 Likes

At no point did I say ā€˜digital is digitalā€™

What are asked for if there is an assumption of ā€˜noiseā€™, how does this noise manifest, is it more or less than say a fridge on your mains?

If an hifi company introduced an audiophile fridge, reducing ā€˜noiseā€™ would you purchase one?

Whatā€™s are the measurements, what are the effects, how do the measurements Effect sound to our ears, is it peer reviewed?

I have been in the fortunate position of checking out a variety of products over the years, one thing that has universally baffled me is the last one metre of (insert cable of choice) making the blind bit of difference. And to date as far as I am aware there is no actual peer reviewed evidence that they do. All we have is, ā€˜even my wife heard the differenceā€™ and a bunch of blokes selling expensive cables to a bunch of other blokes.

I am far from stressed, I find it hilarious. Back in the day naim never fell for this crap either, but obviously an accountant got involved somewhere.

1 Like

WiFi receivers introduce noise too. If not a lot of us could have saved a lot of money.
Personally I would be very happy not to invest in expensive switch,linear ps and ethernet cables. And WiFi looks better too.

1 Like

I am not shouting.

This is a forum, where, within the rules of the forum we are allowed to express our opinion. Evidently all you are after is an echo chamber. If Richard wants to ban me he can, but as far as I am aware I am expressing a valid opinion just as you are, I have been rude to no one.

Please if you could offer me a search term for google that will lead me to the peer reviewed evidence based testing that took place, I would be really interested to watch that, (genuinely).

3 Likes

Then the answer is simple, revert to CDs!

1 Like

SQ is as a butterfly, which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but which, if we sit down quielty, may alight upon us.
With apologies to Nathaniel Hawthorne ( 1804-1864 )

1 Like

Tired of all this chatter and tests and especially of the swich brands I stopped on 2 Cisco Catalyst 2960 CG (yes gigabytes, the white ones with 8 ports!) And the sound is fine. Oh my God it is also fine with the wifi of the airpory extreme apple.

The Chord Unicorn.

Now thereā€™s a new product development concept.

In case anyone is actually thinking of cutting ethernet and hifi system EM noise from your router on a budget, Iā€™d say, yes, do it, get an iFi iPower plug of appropriate amperage and voltage.

I think you can return it if not satisfied.

It works for me and also for NigelB.

I think they just brought out a newer version than mine.

One thing to watch - you may well need a connector to add to the end of the plug so it fits your router socket.

There are some in the box that come for free but they didnā€™t fit mine.

I bought a set of about 18 cheap ones off tā€™bay.

But if you find out the pin/hole sizes that your router requires you can order a posh ā€˜audio qualityā€™ plug adaptor IIRC from iFi or similar.

Or hide router, switch, Ethernet cablesā€¦

Yes, hiding from problems - that usually works!

1 Like

[quote=ā€œgaryi, post:54, topic:11664, full:trueā€]
I am not shouting.[/quote]

Nope, youā€™re not shouting - more like continuously grumbling this pedantic argument thatā€™s been rehashed over and over again, and obviously no matter how many long screeds you insist others must write in order to try and convince you, thereā€™s probably nothing that will change your mind that cables etc. will make a difference, despite thousands testing and hearing otherwise. Apologies, Gary, but it just gets boring, even more boring than you feel the ā€˜echo chamberā€™ is to you. A number of years back this was new fertile ground for debate; streaming hifi has moved on since then and at this point itā€™s pretty much incontrovertible that networking gear will make some, if not major, changes to the sound, for most (though not all) setups. The only way to not be an afraid ostrich, is to roll up the sleeves (and pull out the wallet) and try for yourself. Iā€™m so glad I did, but because doing so has utterly transformed the basic V1 Iā€™ve been rolling with the last ten years.

2 Likes

Totally hear you, but tell me, what else have you undertaken to improve your dac? Turned that fridge off?

Do you concede it can be taken too far? Do you think spending say 1k on 1 metre ethernet lead is worth it for the perceived benefits it brings? (Rather than say putting that money towards a better dac)

Fear not, Iā€™ll leave it at that, leave you to it as it were.

2 Likes

No the point I have made a number of times is I have tried. Many times over the years, ethernet cables, power cables, usb cables, you name it.

I do not hear a difference. Happy to agree I have bias as well, luckily not bias created from paying for said cables. Its why all I have left is ā€˜show me the evidenceā€™. Otherwise all any of us can do is caveat our definitive statements with ā€˜in my opinionā€™ (me included)

Iā€™ll also be up front and honest and say I am a bloke I like the shiny, nice cables look nice, who does not want them in their system? But sound quality is has not been one of them for me.

I have also paid far to much for my network set up. It certainly would have been nice to say it made a difference to the hifi but again, I could not say, honestly I dont believe it did.

I do hear differences. For me the most fundamental changes in this modern world come from the streaming platform.

Its all down to preference of course, but for anyone with Roon and an Async USB Dac, I would highly recommend creating a streamer from Daphile, an exceptional piece of software and donationware to boot.

4 Likes

Yes, I too bought a pack of cheap adaptors on the river and found that I had to stack a couple to get the right sizes to connect the iFi iPower to my BT Hub5.

Worth it (I think).

Why would I turn my fridge off? I have two dedicated lines (albeit not a dedicated CU), and those have power conditioning. I donā€™t think you need to spend one k on an ethernet cable (Iā€™ve never spent above $60 on an ethernet cable - and that one is going to be sold) - though neither do I believe one needs to spend $1k to tell time (which reminds me my $5k Seamaster needs to go in for repair). I spent $99 on a Shunyata Venom USB cable recently and that made a huge difference to the V1 - as well as a new power cable that I saved $ on by assembling the parts myself ($125 total), and a couple of AC iPurifiers at $100 a pop to clean up the power and add surge protection (for both V1 and the 160).

(this is not mentioning the oR and oM bridge and other various network tweaks before all that).

I think you are perhaps confused by value vs efficacy.

The iFiā€™s come with adaptors. Those didnā€™t work?

No, they didnā€™t fit my PlusNet router.
I just used one adaptor on the end of the iPower.