Routers and Switches

@Simon-in-Suffolk, I am surprised that you said this. If this is the case, the data would be considered as corrupted?

I think corruptions, and inter-data packet timings in the audio data stream will make the DACs/streamers work harder, that is probably where you can hear the differences.

No, they are not the right size for the BT Home Hubs. I think BT use a less popular input socket size to discourage the use of non-BT supplied wall warts.

I believe that is correct Nigel, in part at least, also annoying in that swapping between HH6 type A & B also required to change the SMPS, .
I once tried my Friwo MMP15 on a BT HH6, Friwo supply a good selection of adaptors & I managed to find one that “sort of fitted” - better say it made a connection with the help of some sticky tape. It made no difference that I could hear, so enquiring mind satisfied the more secure BT unit went back in.

1 Like

Are you even sure that you hear something Gary? :rofl:
Perhaps a better upgrade would be something like boutique Amplifon ?

No not really, it is a consequence of Manchester Encoding … where a stream of consecutive identical values as indicated by a given quantity such as a voltage or phase are flipped so as to help with synchronisation … so 1,1,0,0 or +,+,-,- is sent as 1,0,0,1 or +,-,-,+
This is used in self clocking bit stream protocols such as SPDIF and Ethernet for example.

1 Like

Hi Nigel… I separate my DAC from my streamer transport via a galvanically isolated SPDIF connection with good physical separation between them … for example an NDX2 feeding a Chord DAVE.

1 Like

Gary, these indeed could generate noise / perturbations … it’s really the effect of this and how it couples into the system as to the impact and influence.

Well if a device is microphonic where the vibrations are passed through the devices feet, it may be preferable in some circumstances. I have found no difference from a network switch mounted on wood or concrete, but I tend to keep my network equipment away from my loudspeakers.

However fibre is very microphonic, so sound pressure can introduce transport jitter modulated by the sound pressure in the room. This phenomenon can be used in various industrial applications and even surveillance. … now to what extent that affects playback enjoyment we will no doubt see as fibre becomes more popular for the ‘audiophile’.

FYI to those who are interested in Manchester Encoding.

Interesting info, but I am not sure that it is relevant to audio streaming via WIFI or Ethernet cables.

NB: Manchester code was used in early Ethernet physical layer standards and is still used in consumer IR protocols, RFID and near-field communication.

S/PDIF uses https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_Manchester_encoding which is similar. 10 Mbit Ethernet uses Manchester. 100BASE-TX uses https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4B5B, which is also self-clocking, so I guess Simon’s points apply

AFAIK wifi is a very different kettle of fish wrt to encoding, and for audio it certainly has the advantage of no electrical wire connection to the network, but most likely there are other tradeoffs as always

1 Like

I only used it as an illustration in part to debunk the myth in network and digital audio that 1s are 1s and 0s are 0s

1 Like

Thanks @Suedkiez and @Simon-in-Suffolk , I think the experience and discussion has been educational to all of us here.
I guess I know “probably” something from the point of view of a software developer, but the network/ethernet physical layer is still educational for me.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.