Rugby

One of the best Aussie ones ever

Absolute classic

For those that aren’t from down under the movie is The Castle.

Aged a bit but the message is still the same

I am quite looking forward to the women’s RWC starting this weekend on Saturday. First up SA v France, then Fiji v England, finally Aus v NZ. Apparently England favourites given their recent run of form, but who knows? Home advantage might just give NZ the edge.

1 Like

Well, England did well (no spoilers) and it seems the Aussie ladies have been fed lots of spinach since they last played NZ…but will quality tell over 80 mins?

1 Like

I’m rooting for those Aussies…

1 Like

15 v 13 makes it tough…

So Wasps, ‘my’ club for the last 40 years odd is about to bite the dust. A week after Worcester.

It seems the club rugby model in England is perhaps not fit for purpose.

Or too many clowns and quick money chasers get placed in charge…

3 Likes

Professional rugby has created far too many casualties - on or off the field.

1 Like

It’s dying a slow death here as well, Rugby League seems the preferred game. They get all the media and all the sponsorship money.

1 Like

I’m surprised by that.

The RU professional era saw the closure or relegation of so many proud small yet historic small town clubs in Wales who weer later amalgamated in the higher echelons into a handful of regions.

To me it killed support for local clubs in favour of larger professional outfits and later regions.

Along with this the professional players expected (quite rightly in many ways) the salaries for being elite players, but this simply resulted in teams of incredibly athletic bulked up players in a full contact sport.

Only now are we seeing the ramifications of this bravado affecting so many young men. It’s very sad.

1 Like

I love rugby and hate league, I honestly don’t get what people see in it these days. All RL players are the same size and build, there’s no variation no cheeky half back taking on a big fat forward and the scrum is a joke.

I use to follow it up to they throw out my club (North Sydney Bears) in the early 2000’s. Never watched a full game since.

3 Likes

Same here, RU for me, never quite took to League but in the UK I think it depends where you were born and I dare say I’d have been following League not Union if I was located in Northern England rather than South Wales.

Both codes are dwarfed by the popularity of Aussie Rules here it is by far the biggest contact sport (football). It attracts huge crowds huge tv rights and sponsors. It’s not uncommon to get 60,000 people to a club game. RL might pull 15,000 and RU even less.

1 Like

IMV Wasps are a business/club which is guilty of financial over-reach per the stadium financing, the headline value of which is far above the operational budget of the club and any ability to address/cover/repair part of the capital debt from this source in the event of challenges. That they had to use a short-dated relatively high coupon public bond to finance things was a massive red flag, matters not helped by the Covid-storm. The re-financing risks around the bond were material even before Covid.

I’ve seen this kind of thing so many times where the structure/terms & arrangements simply weren’t fit for purpose (and this isn’t said with hindsight). It’s ‘sword of Damocles’ time.

3 Likes

On a brighter note, England play France in the WWC Saturday morning 8am UK time.

This is usually a close match and will show just how well the Red Roses are prepared for perhaps tougher matches to come.

Haven’t got to see any of the WWC matches yet they’re on quite late/early here. Might try and catch up on a few over the weekend.

Eng v France in WWC – close game with strong defences, many errors, and it doesn’t help when England subs come on and one gives away 3 silly pens.

A bit like the England men’s team, in that when the forward power plan doesn’t fire, the 3/4’s aren’t there to compensate.

I got the games/time mixed up. The games are actually on during the day/evening, doh.

I did wonder as NZ ain’t that far away :grin: