Rugby

You would have thought they’d play at the Olympic stadium

1 Like

Nah they couldn’t sell it out / they can’t even do that for the bledisloe these days which is really sad

Mind you I hated going out there / bad stadium - they reckon they are going to fix

Poor performance from both sides overall but Aus better at a scrambling game when down to 14. ENG have lost 3 games on the bounce to 14 men.

Hope next week is a step up

I’ve just been reminded that we have guests for dinner next Saturday night and the tv will be off. I did suggest we tell them we’ve got covid but that didn’t go down well. Looks like I’ll be watching a replay later that night. Doh. :cry:

Jones the random selection generator (bar Farrell) serves up more changes.

1 Like

How has the loss been reported in the UK?

We’re in a massive sporting period here, what with the cricket, Silverstone, Wimbledon et al, women’s Euros, so it’s just one of the many events – not mentioning the saturation of the P-word going on. I think there hasn’t been as high a focus as perhaps it deserves. Same goes for the valiant Welsh performance v the 'Boks.

From my readings many are bored with Jones’ words and deflections, given we’ve had the Baa-Baas mauling, now defeat to 14-men, and having no running threat, which has been the case over the last 2 x ‘poor’ 6N’s campaigns. The messaging is this is all a build-up to the RWC but the selections say different and the 3/4 moves simply don’t threaten.

Akin to other areas of life, it’s clear change is needed.

My personal view is that England’s back-play looks heavily over-coached (high theory, low practicality), and Farrell, who offers no running threat or pace, or an ability to tackle at this level, simply slows things down. Compared to Ireland and France, England’s 3/4 play is ponderous and plays far to far behind the gain line. It was noticeable in the last game that England barely created any overlaps. Indeed, the Aussie defence just drifted over as the ball travelled laterally.

The little chip over the defence seems to be a dying art.

Feels like English rugby needs the equivalent reboot that Stokes and McCullum have given the cricket team.

1 Like

I didn’t watch the match live last week but saw the highlights and read the reports. Looking at the team today it is hard not to wonder if Jones now has the faintest clue what he is doing. I know injuries etc are always a factor, and it is the end of a hard season but surely he should be settling not just on a team but a style and pattern of play. The same was true in the last 6Nations.

If the WC was one year further away even the RFU might have sacked him.

Maybe they will go on and turn it around today?

NZ v Ireland – wonderful game, with a very well-earned victory. The officials were very busy and I’m glad the result wasn’t influenced by some ‘open to question’ decisions in the first half, borne of ill-discipline and some senseless & overtly reckless play which, IMV, should have earned a red card instead of yellow.

Puts England’s performances in perspective by a country mile.

1 Like

No spoilers but enjoying the first half of Eng v Aus on the radio.

In terms of my sport punditry pedigree I’d like to point out I would have dropped Jonny Bairstow from the Test team at the start of the summer.

Bruce

1 Like

Of course you are :rofl::grin:

I’m meant to be entertaining but keep duck off to check.

It’s worrying that the first time Australia had a decent attacking platform they scored. :grimacing:

It is – and England still have an underlying theme of kicking, whether it be from the base or in to space, even when they are at the Aussie 22.

This is building up to being another battle between England’s pack and the Aussie 3/4 line as the differentiators in the game.

How does Michael Hooper see through those puffy eyes?

All set for next week. Good comeback again from the wallabies

Very much a poor pudding compared to the previous match.

Very little threat in the 3/4’s from England, the win aided by indiscipline and several debateable scrum pens. Ultimately, won by the pack.

Team development – not much IMV.

Agreed. There needs to be more direct attacking intent and cohesion in the back line. I suspect @Pete_the_painter has gone to bed.

1 Like

No I haven’t gone to bed had friends over fir dinner. Got into trouble for sneaking a look just after half.

Congratulations ended up a bit closer than I bet you guys thought it would be at half time.

Makes for an interesting 3rd match.

1 Like