Running An Ethernet Cable Between Rooms

:grimacing:

If you have RG6 cable pre-wired in your house for cable TV or satellite, you can use MOCA 2.5 network adapter to convert ethernet to coax and back. It will give you a solid gigabit, same as ethernet. In fact, MOCA 2.5 runs 3 gigabit, so you can have more than one device using the network with no slowdowns. Older versions of MOCA were not as fast.

I have three MOCA - ethernet terminations in the house now with no wiring. I just used the un-used RG-6 already in my walls This was the most plug and play without any issues installation of anything I have ever encountered. If you have active TV or internet via cable TV, the only thing you need to do extra is get a MOCA trap filter on the cable coming into your house so your data doesn’t spill out into the main cable lines and you should turn on encyription in the MOCA devices. As well, if your cable is running through any splitters, they need to have the ability to pass the higher frequencies used by MOCA 2.5 (up to 1675 Mhz. Most older splitters are only good to 1000 Mhz.

This is what I bought in December, but there are also good MOCA 2.5 boxes from other vendors.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08PMRCQV1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best avoided, as
A) they don’t offer Ethernet connectivity…
B) they are very high RFI generators, to the point I would be careful with sleeping young children near mains connected bed side lamps etc
C) they don’t optimally provide reliable data communications and may cause issues with applications that are not reliant on TCP for error recovery … multicast groups and discovery are two examples… which may affect Naim streaming performance.

3 Likes

Just saw this thread and scanned the posts.

I have a question about external grade Ethernet cables. I can run the cable under timber cladding which protrudes about 100mm from the external wall, so it will be protected from direct weather attack, but still be attached to the wall on the outside. It will of course be subject to temperature extremes over the year from 30 down to -20 deg’s.

Will this have an effect on the cables performance and maintenance? Would it be sensible to run it through some kind of protective conduit first?

1 Like

Take care with minimum bending radius as you transition between wall penetrations and running along the wall.

Two things that really affect UTP & STP cables are poor termination and tight bends.

Not sure on long term reliability behind cladding but a conduit will make it easier to pull a new cable should you need to replace the initial runs.

1 Like

I don’t feel qualified to answer your actual question, but I imagine the conduit will not add significantly to the cost, but will be easier to fasten than the actual cable. And will then make pulling the cable a lot easier.

1 Like

Must add my thanks to all who have contributed. This has become a reference thread and convinced me that with a little effort I’ll be able to run some flat 5e or 6 from my router in the study upstairs all the way to the Innuos in the living room.

1 Like

Out of interest, how do you turn a 90 degree bend with flat cable? Do you just bend it at 45 degrees and overlap itself?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.