Russ Andrews PowerBlock

This is probably more like it:

The name Sound Fantastic does indeed sound like a name a traditional electronics manufacturer would use to market a poor quality block to gullible audiophiles.

1 Like

Different generation. :joy:

1 Like

I wonder how Linn owners who enjoy Linn Ekstatic or Orgasmik will react ?

I tend to keep quiet on this forum about the RA kit Iā€™ve got because lifeā€™s too short for the disdain and sarcasm Iā€™ve seen doled out from time to time to those who donā€™t think the whole firm is a laughable outfit whose only purpose is fleecing gullible idiots.

If theyā€™ve suddenly become ā€˜acceptableā€™, @Camphuw, I hadnā€™t noticed!

Mark

2 Likes

Itā€™s being called Russ Abbot thatā€™s the problem.

1 Like

IMG_5637

How do you know it is a poor quality block?

The comment concerned the Olson Sound fantastic range, not Russ Andrews.
Dr Oeteker pizzas taste fantastic too :joy:

Iā€™ve tried a number of RA mains products (some not cheap) and have never once found them to produce any tangible positive effect on SQ, at least to my ears. So not saying this for the lack of trying or giving them a chance but if of help to others exploring. Admittedly, never tried their high end mains leads.

In addition, what they seem to be doing in the majority of cases in recent times, is rebrand basic components and then selling them as their own only with a few creative claims attached - take the RA so called ā€œsupersocketsā€ sold separately and integrated in the blocks in discussion here - if you look closer, they are your popular basic unswitched MK sockets identical to the ones available at any local B&Q, connected with a 1.5-2.5mm2 internal wiring going up to a little better Kimber cable for the most expensive ones.

2 Likes

Cynic youā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

I know, should stop shopping at B&Q! (other shops are available btw)

2 Likes

The problem with mains blocks is that itā€™s impossible to tell which are going to sound special and which are not merely from the construction of them. You need to be guided by professional reviews, since they have access to far more than most individuals, and of course to make the final choice by listening yourself - in your own system.

Some blocks like the Musicworks ones apparently sound excellent, yet they appear to be little more than six off-the-shelf sockets mounted on acrylic and wired together. The Chord blocks look the business with their substantial aluminium enclosures, yet really the innards seem nothing particularly special. Fortunately my S6 sounds superb.

So, donā€™t judge a book by itā€™s cover. An impressive appearance is no guaramtee of good or even acceptable performance. I once tried a Nordost block at more than Ā£1K and to me it sounded no better than a home made block. Yet it truly looked like a million dollars!

As a general rule Iā€™ve seemed to find that to get anything special from a mains block one needs to spend big money, ie. Ā£1K or more. Otherwise best to make your own from your favourite mains sockets and a bit of ingenuity.

Some will dismiss the whole thing as rubbish. I say ā€œdonā€™t knock it unless youā€™ve tried itā€.

I confess that I have a RA extension cable & block/strip that I use for my computer kit ā€¦ only remembered when scrabbling around under my desk today.

True, but youā€™ll find that many or indeed most mains blocks use standard off-the-shelf sockets.

Snake oil going cheap, this week only!

1 Like

I had a Russ Andrews Powerblock and I never really noticed it doing any harm. I didnā€™t have alternatives to compare it to, but I donā€™t think it did much good or bad. It just did a job. His products do now seem to be extraordinarily expensive for the performance on offer. When I substituted the RA block for a Chord M6 PowerHAUS I was amazed at the improvement. The PowerBlock now powers the computer and ancillaries. It does a job, but I wonā€™t be returning to Russ anytime soon.

Well, several of those posts show exactly why I donā€™t often bother mentioning some of what Iā€™ve got on the forum. Thanks for confirming that itā€™s not worth changing that approach any time soon.

Mark

As I see it we are here to share and respect each otherā€™s experience, be it positive or less so, which could be helpful to everyone.
Your experience is as good and valuable as mine or anyoneā€™s and vice versa and I am here to read about yours and interested in what everyone else has to share.
In the end, for me, my ears decide.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never owned one of these RA mains blocks as I always thought they were too expensive, but I do like the geometry, with the angled sides and the cables then emerging upwards.

2 Likes

I make my own no snake oil required. :+1:t2:

Iā€™m with you on that one. Not many projects can be done while listening to good music on the coffee table, so thatā€™s a bonus too. Cheap, and everything star wiredā€¦just in case it makes a difference.

3 Likes