Same question, should we turn off the units or not?

Not sure if that’s Naim’s recommendation. Is it?

Anyhow, I would not be at all surprised in 10 years all Naim’s new products all come with standby and suddenly claim it is now ok because they found a way so warm up is not required.

Whilst household emission and electricity consumption is relatively small compared with industry, there are considerable pressures to comply with minimising consumption and carbon footprint.

Exactly the same advice I was given by the manufacturer (Lindemann) about my 830S pre and 858 dual mono power amps a number of years ago.

They specifically stated that leaving the amps powered on 24/7 would significantly shorten the life of the amps’ capacitors, and that there would be no audible benefit in leaving them powered on 24/7.

I power on around 30 minutes before a listening session as per their advice.

I switched my Aura* off overnight … as far as I can judge, the next day it took two hours to reach what I take to be its best performance.
*not a Harry Potter Aura.
J

I measured the power sucking of my HiFi (Naim and Linn) and it’s around 60W. Standby. Of course it’s going up when working (ie listening to music).
This ist enough reason for me to have it switched off if not in use.
Maybe once I have my roof covered with PV panels I’ll change this, of course in winter I could use the HiFi as an additional heating, but at this time I feel better turning it off. And, of course, I’m not hearing any difference in SQ.
-dgh

My 72 140 and hi cap have been in storage for about 15 years. I’ve just bought some speakers for them to use as my second system. When turning on the hi cap tried to work for about 20 seconds then fizzled out, some capacitors in it has failed, however the 72 and 140 are working fine.

This topic gets discussed a lot and I understand the differences in opinion. I always left my Naimuniti on (5 years) but the screen failed, now I have turned the screen off but still leave it powered up. I am waiting on a response fro Naim as to what is the best approach support longevity of the screen.

According to Naim USA experts from years past, Naim components should remain powered up. It seems to take a few hours to sound correct for my active system and it was similar with older olive and CB gear after unplugging for vacation or lightning. I am unsure if it is cost effective or eco-correct however.

I wish I could disable stop/start on my VW by default - it’s downright dangerous not to mention infuriating.

The number of times I’ve been waiting to pull out at a junction/roundabout and the stop hasn’t kicked in for many seconds, then does just as I go to pull off and put my foot on the accelerator, this leads to a second or two of stop before the car restarts and pulls away potentially making that gap in the traffic a much shorter dangerous one. Hate it with a vengeance.

2 Likes

There’s draining and then there’s draining - different for different people. But it of course depends on the gear in question: When I had a Musical Fidelity P270, using about 250W even with no music playing, the excess hours had I left it running would have cost something like £300 a year - yes I could afford it, but it would have been £300 less to spend on something else.

Just checked the power consumption (in idle) for my humble system.

SuperNait 2: 18 W.

HiCap DR: 5.6 W.

NDX 2: 0.3 W without sever mode. 16 W with server mode.

!

Rega Aria: 11 W

The Aria phono stage is shut down while not in use. The others are left on. Around 40 W in total.

2 Likes

I can’t agree with you more! This is my personal opinion, I don’t believe in real life condition you would save much fuel unless you are driving a rubbish truck or inner city stopping very frequently. There is no new tech in this system. Just a bigger starter motor that lasts more cycles and it will surely wear out, not to mention about larger heavier battery and extra load on that. I believe stop/start is built for lab condition so it looks good on paper. We all know how accurate the claimed fuel consumption figures are. Few of my friends have this system and it would cease to function because battery can no longer supply enough current. As you said @Alley_Cat, I consider this dangerous useless gimmick.

I also don’t like tyre pressure monitor, electric park brakes, engine start button and infotainment system like that on all Mazda’s which does not sport a touch screen but control via dial/button next to the drive stick. Most reviewer would put in the same sentence it is ok because there is voice control anyway. Figure that out!

Otoh, I love sensor detecting car coming from behind and does not allow or warns passenger trying to open door to get out. Sensor to detect if there are passengers in the backseat left in car. Rain sensor wiper and car play that removes / reduces the dependency on software updates in cars.

Sorry to OP for going off topic!

1 Like

I find screen on/off preference an interesting one. I prefer and always have mine off and love the way it wakes up only when I an interacting with it - volume / input / track change, etc. It is intuitive and provides sufficient feedback. After all, with uniti / streamers, you are most likely driving it using an iPad, phone which sports a much better, bigger, higher res screen and UI design can evolve quickly over time.

Some (including myself) have requested option to defeat all the lights completely, but I do see the conundrum with this. What if the unit fails and you now get no feedback whatsoever.

Btw, I don’t need the dial gauges like there are on the NAD M10. I had something similar with my very first digital amp over 25 years ago. I had that turned off as well.

Rega Aria? Also?

I checked the manual for Rega Aria and I can’t find the same text there.
However the manual says:

The Aria circuit has been carefully designed to work with a minimal “warm up” period of just a few minutes as the sensitive input circuits stabilise and reach their optimal operating conditions.

I have found that after 30 minutes the Aria sounds fine. I normally switch on the Aria ca 15 minutes or so before I start listen to vinyl.

1 Like

Short of reaching retirement in 25 years, I cannot imagine my days being predictable enough whereby I could power anything 30 minutes ahead of time. For as long as I can remember, I catch my listening opportunities where I can get them.

5 Likes

TBH I genuinely don’t worry about hifi being 100% warmed up but is interesting how people are.

Hifi isn’t like me. I wake up in the morning and often feel 100 years old. Give me 30 minutes, a cup of tea and I feel 21! If my hifi was like that I’d definitely wait 30 minutes but thankfully it’s not. If I feel like listening to music I’ll just put something on and ease into a session.

1 Like

That seems easy to solve by lighting up when you press a button on the unit?

Fair point @Suedkiez, but the unit may be on and one would have no idea. Of course a seasoned naim user will say, “who cares?!”

Some manufacturers would have a dim red/green led light at the back where the power switch is commonly located. Of course naim doesn’t do master power switch.

I just wanted to point it out in case you can use it in the future when discussing the feature with Naim :slight_smile:

I’d also think a tiny LED somewhere as an ON-indicator can’t be a big problem, or a low-light mode for the logo.
I love my Naim lights, the way the system is positioned they are not intrusive, and at last so far I am enthralled with my Naim system and would not want it any other way., but I can imagine how the christmas tree can be annoying in some situations.
What’s slightly weird is that the lights on the NDX2 can be dimmed in 4 steps, but on the 252 it is on or off

1 Like

Naim is already one of the sparsest lit brands on the market. Yes there are lots of no light or single LED power light things on the market. But there is also even more VU meter glare or Chord Xmas tree stle bling. And none of them pull enough power to make an appreciable dent in energy consumption.