Say goodbye to your Armageddon : usher in a Radikal

Convinced it’s the aluminium cantilever on the Linn vs boron on the Dynavector.

Ah sorry, I meant visually not sonically.

1 Like

Always wondered how much better the K18 might have been, but then got charmed by the original AT OC-9. Possibly my favourite cartridge ever until I trashed it accidentally.

I haven’t seen any formal reviews yet (magazines, etc.), but there are several reviews from users and dealers in the Linn Facebook group. All the ones I’ve read that mention the Krystal say that the Kendo is markedly better. If you’re a member, you can enter kendo in the search box, and they’ll come right up.

My Kandid’s got a good bit of life in it yet, so I’m not in the market for a cartridge, but I think about it from time to time. Maybe I’ll stick with what I know; maybe I’ll go all out with an Ekstatik (on the principle that money’s best spent on the source); or maybe I’ll downgrade (because the cartridge is an expensive consumable and, in my view, the Akiva, a lesser cartridge than the Kandid, was the first cartridge I owned that I felt was not wanting in any way). If I go with option 3, the Kendo would be an appealing choice.

1 Like

Thoroughly enjoyed reading these posts, thanks all contributors because I had been pondering my next upgrade. After several exchanges on another post I’ve decided to book my Radikal Akurate in for an upgrade to the latest 'spec. It was a choice between that or going Kore to Keel but on the advice of my dealer, he reckons the PSU just pips it plus it’s cheaper. I totally agree with the OP’s original observations on the virtues of the Radikal, it was a game-changer in my system but by all accounts, the R2 upgrade is on a whole different level!

Nothing inherently wrong with aluminium alloy for a cantilever. My Ortofon SPU Royal N picks up very little surface noise. A Cadenza Bronze might give you a better impression of an aluminium cantilever. Very good on a Aro I hear.

1 Like

The majority of my older cartridges had boron cantilevers and the Krystal definitely has more surface noise - I think a review of the Krystal somewhere mentioned this which is why it sticks in my mind but could be due to other factors.

Jonners, 'twas by virtue of the new Radikal board that I sourced a second hand Akurate. I look forward to a MkIII so that I can benefit from a preloved MkII board!

The Kore was a great improvement over the standard subchassis, and much more affordable than the Keel. But the Radikal / Karousel combo is stunning.

A key reference pont for me was a comparison between the LP12 and CDX2.2 using the track Derezzed from Daft Punk’s Tron album. With the Armageddon in place, the CDX had much better grip, clarity and punch. Radikalised, the Linn beat it hands down! Better everything, particularly in terms of miles wide soundstage (vertically and horizontally), and FFS (see earlier!) and verve. Wholly more engaging, and that IS saying something. Subsonic bass rocked the house to the foundations…with an Aro! Suddenly the XX2 was allowed to do all that Dynavector claimed,(‘deep powerful bass’) all because of a bearing and a power supply. Wow! Socks blown clean off, trousers flapping.

Next up, XPS for the the CDX2.2!?

Seems we have (perhaps) broadly similar set-ups Loki. It took a Karousel, ARO, DVxx2 and the aforementioned Radikal Akurate to take on my CDX2 and win, and that’s an 18 year old Mk1 CD player without an XPS that’s never been serviced for goodness sake!
I’ll be up to the land of Pork Pies at the beginning of October for the upgrade to R2 as the Main Man is on a jaunt to the US - I can’t wait!

Indeed we do! PS pointed out that my second CirKus (only a decade old) had suffered contamination prior to replacement, and I put some of the previous sibilance down to that, although I have no idea how the crud entered.

The CDX2.2 was only purchased in 2021, preloved, serviced and upgraded but then unused so essentially brand new inside. I had inherited my father-in-law’s classical CD collection and his trusty NAD player was fine in it’s own system, but I needed something for the maiN Naim. Alastair at Signals advised and hey ho, all future classical purchases will be on CD!

Gvien the cost of new vinyl, and the monies lavished on the LP12 I have to say the cost / performance ratio isn’t half bad via the CDX. But for high days, holidays and all other special occasions the LP12 is the source of choice, like a fine wine, to be savoured.

I’m envious of all of you with Aros!

“Gvien the cost of new vinyl, and the monies lavished on the LP12 I have to say the cost / performance ratio isn’t half bad via the CDX. But for high days, holidays and all other special occasions the LP12 is the source of choice, like a fine wine, to be savoured”.

Absolutely Loki - the price of CDs has fallen through the floor, I buy secondhand off eBay or Amazon for mere Pence most of the time and I cannot really justify the price of new recordings to make them worthwhile, particularly if they’re a 180g+ pressing which I find sound flatter and more static-prone than “older” records. I adore both my sources but for me, the CDX2 has been outstanding and proved to be still highly performant to this day, it’s a keeper for sure!

1 Like

“I’m envious of all of you with Aros!”

I bought mine blind a couple of years ago based on rave reviews, given they’re discontinued it meant sitting on the Cymbiosis waiting list until one came up to trade my Roksan NIMA in against. That took a year and it was very expensive, even though it was over 20 years old. I almost went for another Roksan or a PU7 but the looks of the ARO and it’s rarity factor sucked me in. Shod with a DVxx2 it’s a truly musical performer and worth every penny.

2 Likes

My Aro came with a Circus fitted LP12 and Lingo in great shape and was a bargain at about £1.5k but that was over 20 years ago now.

2 Likes

“My Aro came with a Circus fitted LP12 and Lingo in great shape and was a bargain at about £1.5k but that was over 20 years ago now”.

You’d need considerably more than that now, just for the ARO itself Dynaudio1!

1 Like

Have the Clearaudio-built ARO 2 models started to be sold individually yet? That may bring down the resale values of the originals. (I’m keeping mine, though!)

Yep, even at the time it seemed a very good deal but I think LP12s with Aros were then undervalued and vinyl was ‘out’. It was about 25 years ago - replaced a Linn Axis with Akita which I still have boxed up.

Since then the old black-based LP12 has had Keel for Aro, Radikal and Karousel mods. Radikal 2 will be added at some stage.

The Aro itself has performed over this time with aplomb and no work required other than the occasional fanatical adjustments by me.

“Have the Clearaudio-built ARO 2 models started to be sold individually yet? That may bring down the resale values of the originals. (I’m keeping mine, though!)”

Not to my knowledge graham55 and I guess it’ll be down to NAIM if they want to start to sell bits of the Solstice off individually. My guess is it’s probably a “no”, only because I suspect they’ve bigger ideas now and taking the “all in one” deck is the route they’ll take to differentiate themselves from the likes of Linn. Only my opinion of course

Thank you, your thread offers nothing but good news for those of us who aspire to Armageddon ownership!

Enjoy your Radikal.

My audio pleasure, and if you replace your Valhalla, then we all achieve nirvana, or is that our karma? Perhaps Naim should develop a Ragnarok to replace the Armageddon?!

1 Like