Second hand Rega RP8 Apheta 2

I am planning to pick up a second hand RP8 with Apheta 2.
I will listen to it in the hope that I can hear if it is any good.
I have been told to check for a hum. Are there more things to check out?
I am not intrested in buying an other TT.
I just want to make sure it is okay.
I already bought a stageline S.

1 Like

All Rega turntables with an AC synchroneous motor are well known for going with too low speed. I´d rather go for a LP12

The guy’s asked for your experience with a Rega RP8. Is that a problem you have had?

1 Like

I guess the hum you refer to is the one raised before because of the way that Rega connect the earth through the arm.
Do a search for “Rega Planar hum” across the forum and get lots of previous references.

1 Like

Pretty hard to go wrong with this combination. I enjoy mine hugely. Just check the obvious set up components - balance and counter weight, and antiskate. Also ask about the age of the belts. You may be after a new set or possible upgrade. You may also want to get the stylus checked out if you can’t check this yourself. Invest in a decent stylus cleaner. I use the little Lyra bottle with good results.

2 Likes

Second here … I love my P8, actually it is very simple to set it up and in my belief not much can go wrong if the previous owner looked after it well…

1 Like

Not true anymore, and they run rather a bit faster than slower. This was before Rp8 .

1 Like

Incorrect. IIRC Michael fremer debunked this some time ago. I recently changed the belts on my RP10 and the speed is absolutely spot on using my Linn speed checker disc.

3 Likes

Getting an idea of how many hours the Apheta 2 would be good.?
This is usually difficult, but in most countries Rega run a retip trade-in sceme.

I’d stay clear if it represent IGD or doesn’t make your feet move.
The older RP8 shouldn’t be that expensive s/h, at least a good step lower than a new P6.
Oh and then you should like the gloss black piano.

1 Like

Less than 300 hours. It is gloss black piano.
Whats IGD?

Igd inner groove distortion

1 Like

I had that combination for a while and it was a good set up. They are pretty bulkwt proof, everything I’d check has been covered above

1 Like

No LP12 for me. Thanks.

Is this what you mean?

Thanks.

2 Likes

I use this one from Audio Technica as well …

1 Like

2 Likes

Many thanks everyone. I bought it.

20 Likes

I used to be a serial box swapper/upgrader and owned lots of record players including several Technics, LP12’s, Regas, Goldrings and then got a Rega P8 over 2 years ago and apart from possibly going up to a P10 one day I’m very, very happy an excellent record player for the money.

Not sure how different the RP8 is but can’t imagine there are huge differences.

2 Likes

Untill now I am very happy with it. P8 might be better, but in my situation I like to have a dustcover. And I also like the piano black colour.