Second System - Streamer + Amp

I use a Superuniti as a second system (serviced 2020). For the price it’s fantastic, it’s a very good amp. Mostly NAS and some internet radio, all via app.

It will eventually get replaced with 272 and power amp when we upgrade, but in absolutely no rush.

1 Like

Different brand but gets good reviews - Cambridge Audio Evo 75
in budget.

But if you prefer Naim then an Atom is the obvious choice

1 Like

Having checked the UQ2 spec am I right in thinking a power amp can be added, but it can’t be used as a source only into a separate pre?

It’s a pre out, so intended to be used with a separate power amp. If you connect a preamp or integrated the signal will still pass through the UQ preamp, and you’ll have two volume controls in use, but it’ll still work.

1 Like

I see but I guess the additional pre wouldn’t add anything no matter how good because the UQ preamp will have already done its thing.

Yes, it you just need more power it makes more sense to add a power amp only - unless it’s a stepping stone to a different source.

1 Like

ATC speakers, if not necessarily power hungry, certainly thrive on more power and, personally I’d want to audition seriously before using yours with a UQ or even an Atom. You mention being open to other brands so might be worth adding the new Cambridge Audio Evo C150 to your list of possibles. I’ve not heard it (few have to date) but it looks very good, just right for a bedroom, and has 150w (of Class D) amplification on hand.

Roger

1 Like

Thanks all really helpful. It may seem like the tail wagging the dog but I’m very happy with the ATC speakers and Naim app with Tidal so I reckon a UQ2 along with a poweramp for more grunt is the way to go. And maybe even a DAC V1 if I’m feeling flush.

Any views on whether the newer NAP100 would be better, or a vintage shoebox? Not fussed about the mismatching different era cosmetics, I just want the best SQ.

If max power to your ATCs is the priority then a 140 gives you the most at 70W. The 100 is 50W. A vintage amp can be a bit of a lottery as at that age they can show variable sound quality from one unit to the next. Of course, if you really want to get those speakers singing you want a 250, that’s a full width box. You could always try biamping from the UQ2 by adding a power amp. The V1 can’t do this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.