See Roon have a 1$ offer for 3 months 😀

Indeed, I’ve used my Windows laptop to use Roon. Sometimes the bigger screen is nicer to use than my Lenovo Tab10.

If you have your music organised in different folders.

I do. I have a music folder which Roon monitors which splits down to Artist folders and then down to Album folders with the tracks in them. Nothing unusual there. I still don’t get why I’d need a folder view when the Roon GUI allows me to browse by Artist or Album ?

Guessing, maybe if artists are sorted into folders like “stuff I heard at Nancy’s party”, similar to how people sort their photos? I don’t know, it’s the only thing I can think of :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree 100%. I was very sceptical about it. I felt it very overpriced considering it’s “only” letting me do what I can already do for free.

But I kept going back, and after 3 trials I grudgingly concluded: I listen to music more often; and I listen to more music.

At the end of the day, against my initial instincts, I decided Roon was worth paying for because I get more out of my hifi.

I hate the subscription model though. So I went Lifetime whilst it’s still an option. Go big or go home!

2 Likes

If you’re using headphones with Roon, the DSP can really enhance the listening experience.

There was a thread back in the summer with some details and sources for filters. Since the summer I’ve been almost exclusively listening through headphones because of this.

Link Below:
Headphone filter rolling

I think it’s blackmail material. I’m trying to construct a persona on here with my ‘what are you listening to’ contributions when, in fact, Roon knows it’s all S-Club7 bootlegs.

4 Likes

For me:

1. it gives legacy hardware, NDS a new leaf of life.
  2. better access to my music.

Not 100% sure but so far so good.

Will probably buy out right.

1 Like

Cool will try it for the 4th time love the UI, just the SQ vs Innuos USB is inferior

Can’t see anything mentioning the $1 offer ?

It was a Black Friday offer, so most probably gone.

Doh

I did try Roon about 12 months with the core running on my home PC and whilst I liked the interface and the extras (e.g. Bio etc) I decided to cancel after trial. Over that 12 months I’ve definitely started to use the streaming services more, mainly Qobuz . Due to the lack of integration for legacy streamers I’ve been playing with LMS/BubbleUPnP etc (and also been thinking about selling the NDS and trying something new).

Anyway been thinking of trying Roon again and had already got a pretty good deal on a NUC so jumped on $1 offer and am up and running. The library integration with streaming services is impressive plus I use a Mac quite a bit and the Roon app is very nice. All in all I really like the interface it’s probably the best I’ve used, whether it’s worth £10 a month I’m not sure time will tell.

One thing that did strike me is that nothing seems to have changed in the 12 months from my last use in terms of functionality, it doesn’t seem to offer anything new. I would have expected some new wonderful features for £10 a month, maybe it’s all there but I just haven’t found it yet. Also there seems to be a lot of issues reading through the forums not resolved.

The playlists seem an area that could be better particularly in relationn to integration with Tidal/Qobuz. Anyway enjoying it so far…

1 Like

If the SQ is poor can’t see it being worthwhile. For me it is better than Upnp and way better than Tidle on the NDS.

Only had Roon a few weeks, but I think I’ll not take a subscription out once the 3 months are up.

The thing I really like and find useful is controlling music to my lite from the Mac.

The commands offered above don’t seem to work for me, so the question. Is there an app for Mac that can control the lite (volume, switching inputs)? I have qute control but was wondering if there was something newer with a browser type interface.

Linn Kazoo app (MacOS) may be the nearest … though it doesn’t offer all that functionality you’re after. Naim should release something, otherwise we’ll all need new Macs with the M1 processor to use iOS apps (Naim App) :grinning:

1 Like

I am quite sure I read a while ago in another thread that the app works fine within Android emulators on macOS and Windows. A bit of more faff but possibly worth it.

Yeah, I am not sure about Unitilite. But do be sure, you did enter the correct IP address or DNS name (as provided by the router), yes?

Erm? … I also tried your suggestion of entering the steamers IP address in Safari browser on the Mac and I don’t see anything to control music playback … just “Naim Configuration” for changing Network settings, updating firmware etc … certainly nothing like Roon or Linn Kazoo, for music selection.

I still think the only options are using Bubble Sever combined with Linn Kazoo or a new Mac with the new M1 processor (allowing it to use the iOS Naim App) … but if you know another way, that would be awesome :grinning:

Which device? I said “I am not sure about Unitilite” in the post above yours because I thought someone had mentioned it (though not in the one you replied to, because back then I wasn’t sure which device we were talking about). It works on Nova and NDX2, so I suppose on all units with new streamer platform:

1 Like