See Roon have a 1$ offer for 3 months 😀

Glad to know I’m not alone

Yes and Roon is doing exactly the same by looking at all our music data… they collect all the information but they what they do with it or who they share that info with…

I tried Roon for a free extended period due to a few issues. Almost 2 months.
My system consists of one endpoint (ndx2) and Roon lived on my Synology NAS ssd. I quite liked the interface but was irritated with US slant on this. Phrases, spelling etc…And even the silly naming of UK acts with their US names.

I played with dsp, and clever as it is in a 2020 graphic equaliser way, found it was a bit of a toy.
So, when the time came to cough up, I knocked it on the head. Did it really offer a lot more that the Naim app? Not for me.
Others love it. I must be missing something.

You did notice that Roon does not just play music, but has e.g., artists’ bios, album descriptions, links across everything (e.g. click any name in a credits list and it brings you to this musician’s works), lots of other metadata in improved quality, custom tags and metadata editable, music from online streaming and local rips unified in one place? Neither of which is provided by Chromecast or UPnP?

I’m only in this for the listening of music

The other stuff is of not much use plus if I want to read up on any artist I’ll just google it

1 Like

I see, in this case it’s simply not for you, I just wanted to point out that it’s not really comparable to UPnP or Chromecast.

The thing I really like is the ability to control music playback on my MACBook.

However not sure I’m prepared to pay £100 a year and that’s why the $1 offer is so good rather than just a free week. An opportunity to explore all its functionality.

I’m also surprised it’s running perfectly well on my QNAP 251, albeit using lots of ram, but that can be upgraded. I only have 14k tracks, so that may be why.

FYI, without Roon you can control the streamer in the Macbook browser by going to http://your_streamer_IP_or_DNS_name/webclient

Indeed, I’ve used my Windows laptop to use Roon. Sometimes the bigger screen is nicer to use than my Lenovo Tab10.

If you have your music organised in different folders.

I do. I have a music folder which Roon monitors which splits down to Artist folders and then down to Album folders with the tracks in them. Nothing unusual there. I still don’t get why I’d need a folder view when the Roon GUI allows me to browse by Artist or Album ?

Guessing, maybe if artists are sorted into folders like “stuff I heard at Nancy’s party”, similar to how people sort their photos? I don’t know, it’s the only thing I can think of :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree 100%. I was very sceptical about it. I felt it very overpriced considering it’s “only” letting me do what I can already do for free.

But I kept going back, and after 3 trials I grudgingly concluded: I listen to music more often; and I listen to more music.

At the end of the day, against my initial instincts, I decided Roon was worth paying for because I get more out of my hifi.

I hate the subscription model though. So I went Lifetime whilst it’s still an option. Go big or go home!

2 Likes

If you’re using headphones with Roon, the DSP can really enhance the listening experience.

There was a thread back in the summer with some details and sources for filters. Since the summer I’ve been almost exclusively listening through headphones because of this.

Link Below:
Headphone filter rolling

I think it’s blackmail material. I’m trying to construct a persona on here with my ‘what are you listening to’ contributions when, in fact, Roon knows it’s all S-Club7 bootlegs.

4 Likes

For me:

1. it gives legacy hardware, NDS a new leaf of life.
  2. better access to my music.

Not 100% sure but so far so good.

Will probably buy out right.

1 Like

Cool will try it for the 4th time love the UI, just the SQ vs Innuos USB is inferior

Can’t see anything mentioning the $1 offer ?

It was a Black Friday offer, so most probably gone.

Doh